What are some good catfishing rods? Fishing rods that handle 1-20 pound catfish

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by r_bray89, Apr 17, 2006.

1. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I am looking for a catfishing rod/reels for cats that are in the 1lb to 20lb catfish and what it to be kinda cheap in price. I now that all of you guys will come through. Thanks for you guys in advance.

2. tehrealmccoy

tehrealmccoy New Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    Around here in Illinois I've found the best combination is a 7 foot heavy action pole with a 733 Zebco Hawg reel. Works for 3-8 lbs catfish, probably more but haven't gotten any bigger than 8 pounds so far. Now the real trick is finding the catfish after you find the rig. :D

The rig also isn't that expensive, $20 for the reel and you can find some cheap rods at your local bait shop for cheap as well.. I payed about $15 for mine. :)

3. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Hey Roger, I've got a new favorite rod that I really like a lot. It's a DK701MH Danny King Signature it's a 7' rod Medium action 15-30lb line.
    Its got great back bone, EVA handles, yellow in color with 8 guides with the last 4 being fluorescent ringed as is the last 13" of the rod, It's got a nice balance to it also. I paid $39.00 at a tackle show for it from Danny King himself. Check out his web site and have a look at it, he's also a sponsor of the BOC and a really good guy.
    As for a cheep rod that works good. I also have a Shakespeare Ugly Stick "Catfish" it's only $27.00 from wally world and it's holding up well so far (2yrs). It's also a 7' Med.Heavy action rod. It has 8 guides, EVA grips and is nice and white in color.(easy it see at nite).

The reels I like to use are the Ambassadeur 6500c3 with 20lb. cajun red line. I also use 25 lb. Big game.
    I haven't caught any thing really bigger than about 10 lb.'s so far but my fishin' buddy has got one this year on his Ugly Stick (like mine) that went 19.9 lbs. and it held up very well to a strong fighting Blue Cat.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like American spirit which used to be American premier rods.There great for the money,and there great rods.You can get them at catfishconnection check them out.

5. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Check out catfishconnection.com:) . They have about all the catfish rigs you could imagine, and then some.

6. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    You can't go wrong with an Ugly Stik and my choice for reels is Shimano. I bought the wife a Whuppin Stick from Cabela's last week and after looking it over I wouldn't be surprised if it was made by Shakespeare. It has a lot in common with an Ugly Stik and it's only about 20 bucks.

ST

7. Quackcephus

Quackcephus New Member

State:
    TX
    An Ugly Cat rod with an Abu Garcia reel is hard to beat. :thumbsup:

8. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    if you realy wanna go cheap a shakespeare tiger spinning combo will probably work for the cats you are after $20 at wally world

movin up you could get a ugly stik cat rod they r good

9. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    For the price aprox. 27.00, great quality and awesome warrantee can't beat the ugly stick from walmart. If I'm not mistaken the white ugly stick cat rod is only around 30.00 at bass pro if not cheaper.

10. arz6x2

arz6x2 New Member

State:
    missouri
    do you have to have a bait casting reel or can a heavy duty spinning reel suffice in certain instances.

11. HUSKER77

HUSKER77 New Member

State:
    IRVING, TX
    you Cannot Go Wrong With An "ugly Stick!!!". Very Reliable Rods!

12. DaveR

DaveR New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    If you're looking for a budget rod shakespeare sturdy sticks are pretty good. I'm almost sure that you can get them for around $18 at catfishconnection.com.

Dave

13. pursuing_cats

pursuing_cats New Member

State:
    Clarksville,Tennessee
    I am obsessed with the Ugly Stiks. I have a couple of 7" MH rods and they are great for cats. They are sensitive enough to detect the slighest bite and have enough backbone to handle nice size cats. I recently upgraded to the Ugly Stik 7" tiger rods for larger cats(Blues and Flats) and outfitted them with Abu Garcias 6500 C3 reels. I purchased all these from Catfish Connection who is a proud sponsor of this site and they have some really awesome deals. Check them out and see what they have. If you order from them it takes about 3-5 days to get your stuff.