what are pvc limb lines

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by rcjoyner, Apr 16, 2008.

1. rcjoyner

rcjoyner New Member

State:
    tn
    In another post someone spoke of using pvc limb lines. what are they.

I envision sticking pieces of pcv pipe in the mud. am i correct

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Pretty much. Most who use them use 1/2" because it is extremely flexible but still has strength. Drill a hole or attach an eye bolt and some line and a hook and you are ready.Sinkers are optional. Most states require name and address to be visible on each pole.By the way welcome to the BOC!

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Just have to put a big "if" into the converstation... that being "IF they are legal in your state!". Oklahoma is changing their regulations, but believe its next year before it goes into effect.

4. gpbakken

gpbakken New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    up here in Minnesota, only rod and reel are allowed....

oh well.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've seen posts about using pvc for bank poles, and also for using solid fiberglass rods, and I got to wondering if anyone had tried simply going out in the woods and cutting some saplings. By choosing the size, it would be possible to get a limber or stiff pole, whichever you desired. (No jokes allowed. :roll_eyes:) If that would work, I can see a couple of advantages: obviously, they're cheap, since they're free; also, when stuck up on the bank, they look like something growing naturally there, rather than something man-made, which attracts attention and fish thieves. :0a36:

6. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i love using pvc when a log or branch is not there but you have a good spot last summer i took a friend fishing and when he seen me pull the pipes out of my truck he got a giggle but after 1am when we checked them and had a few bent over holdin fish he said hey that was a good idea
    i use 10ft stick with 10ft. line and 8oz sinker 10/0hook and a bullhead or carp for bait

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Willow trees work the best. Use to do that all the time on a small river in Iowa when I was real little.

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We used to catch some really nice cats on limb lines and they aren't as noticeable as long poles sticking in the bank.:crazy:

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I agree that real limb lines are definitely best, but there's a lot of riprapped areas along the Arkansas River that just don't have a handy tree where you need it. You've got a choice of putting in some kind of pole, or attaching your line to a rock.

10. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Yeah Ironwood works really well. I've had ironwood poles that lasted for years. You're only allowed 5 here in Iowa.
    If you know what you are looking for its really easy to spot bank poles aka ditty poles and lots of other names.
    You really got to trust the other guys or be just as crooked as they are. I personally opt for the trust thing but don't tell anyone. lol. There is kind of a threat by letting them think what they will. lol. Those who know me trust and I trust them. Let the others wonder.

have a good one
    just

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    so.... you just buy 10 ft long 1/2" pvc and stick it in the ground with only 10' of line?? what test/type of line? How deep into the gound? what angle? what type hook? Thanks in advance to anyone who has patience enough to answer all the "??????"! ~ DP

12. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    go to mega cat crew.com and there are good tips and you will see all the equipment you will need but if you would like to get some good help just but the video and you will learn alot from it

13. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thank you, I appreciate it...

14. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We used to use willows, but now we use the PVC. Willows work alright, but the PVC lasts longer. I take a 10' piece, cut it in half at an angle so it's easier to drive in, and write my name on the pipe with magic marker. If I take different people with me now and then, I just mark out the last persons name and write on the new person. Here in Iowa, it's not legal to hang your line on limbs, so you about gotta use a pole. BTW, I use 3/4 inch for mine, it's a little stronger, but still has good flex.

15. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ok good... Thats good info, thank you!
    here's a few more questions if you don't mind.

how far do you stick it into the ground?

how are you tying your line onto the pvc? (had to ask my 5th grade boy how to spell "tying" that is it right? it don't look right.. lol)

and what pound test is good to use?

16. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well, here's what I do. Usually stick it in the ground about a foot, kinda depends on the bank, if it's really sandy I try to go a little deeper, if it's pretty hard mud or dirt, not so far. The nice thing about the PVC, we carry a rubber mallet or a short piece of 2x4 and you can use that to drive in the pole if the bank is really hard. One thing to watch for, sometimes the high banks can be pretty crumbly. Last summer we set one where the bank wasn't very good, but it looked like too good of a spot to pass up. Next morning, the bank was caved down and the pole was gone. Don't like to see that happen.

I drill a hole close to the end of the pvc and put a small eye bolt through it. Then I tie my line to the eye bolt and wrap some extra line around the pole. Then you can adjust your line a little longer or shorter, depending on the water. The eye bolt will keep the extra line from pulling off the end of the pole when a fish is fighting it.

For line I just use that heavy white cord, you can usually find it in a baitshop. It comes in various strengths, I think I use about 180 lb. test. We mostly get channells here, not a lot of big flatheads in my stretch of the Iowa river.

Hope this helps.

17. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Thanks for that, ya know, I kinda get the drift that some think that type of fishing is taboo, but it's sounds interesting and I'd like to try it..

nothing will beat the 'ol rod n reel for sure, but I just think It would be wild to check and find a huge fish on the end of a pvc stick... I wonder though, does it hurt the fish to be hooked for so long or not?

At night sittin' in my boat on the river sometimes I'd hear huge splashes from a fish hooked on a limbline and I have been so damn tempted to go pull up the fish just to look at it... especially when, because of the huge spashes, I knew it was a big @ss flathead! But I never did (didnt want to get shot, LOL)

I never keep fish unless I Catch one I want to stick in my pond...and I don't like to eat any kinda fish at all... (maybe long johns now and then, that's it.)
    So if it kills the fish I won't do it.... but I'm thinkin' it don't.
    correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks again for the help~Bill

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya we can set limb and banklines in illinois. its fun once or twice a year. we catch very little in fish but man the snappers seem to take hold. i love them too. glad its legal here. all we need is another law telling me to pay for a higher liscense with more restrictions. IF and i mean IF it aint legal in you state poor you folks. one day ya might want to eat one and by then maybe they will make it illegal to do that too.

preserving the sport dont mean toss all back. when its illegal to keep one im done fishing. LEGALLY that is.

dr pepper dont worry about those taboo folks. this sites staff let it stand as lond as its a legal method. some gripe. just tell em ya dont care. thats what ya got to do. there are folks here as ya see that like to chat about this too. just because some dont like it dont let it stop any of you new fellas from talking about it. if they get a little voicy report the post.

19. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah... thats another thing, LOL ... I don't even know if it's legal here in Indiana... I think it is 'cause people have done it as I told about above.... 'less they were breakin' the law (that's possible)
    I highly doubt I'll ever eat fish~ @ 43 years old I've given it more than one chance - cooked different ways... I just don't like it.

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Don't sweat it. Even if it's legal, there are gonna be some folks who disapprove of it. I've got a friend who thinks that fishing with a barbless dry fly is the only way to go; and that actually using bait is downright savage. Of course, the PETA idiots are just as down on him as the rest of us. So, as long as it's legal in your waters, do what you enjoy doing!