What are downfalls of jets

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by heeler, Jun 12, 2006.

1. heeler

heeler New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have heard nothing but good things about jets?I know that nothin is perfect.Can someone please tell me some of the cons.I would rather find out now,than when it is to late.thank you Mike

2. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    hey mike........... u loose a certain amount of speed with a jet....... props run faster with the same horses ................ if u run too much sand/silt/gravel thru the jet it will eventually fail........of course , u can run a jet thru a lot shallower water ....... some others will chime in i'm sure ..............

3. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    If you run anywere theres a lot of grass or other trash in the water you'll be stopping and pulling it out. if the weed's are there you'll find them in no time

4. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    Heeler.......With an outboard jet it's easy to clean the intake grate,just lift motor and clean it off with your hand.With inboard u can have a stomp grate installed, the intake is on the bottom of boat and sticks, grass, small rocks etc can get stuck. with stomp grate just like it sounds ,its on the back of boat on swim deck,u stomp it to clear the intake, no diveing under boat to clear it by hand. Most inboard jet have a clean out that you can get to from inside the boat.I have never seen a jet fail,because of sand ,rocks,slit...they have a wear ring and on out boards you can adjust the impeller with washers to get the clearance right. there is a thrust bearing that could fail, keep it greezed up good it should last u years. All in all jets are less maintance than a prop also a lot safer,if u or your kids swim,ski,tube.I've run many a mile with both outs and ins,Pick the right hull and ur preformance should be good and don't under power.:cool2: Ur humble servant beartrap and buoy...............

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Well i spend alots of time on the water with my jet the only thing so far that has stop me was grass and a ice bag.Others have said just bring the motor up and most time the trash will fall off itself. The best time it running the river without looking for the low waters. If i cant see it on the water my boat will run over this. As for speed you will drop some I run a 1860 smokercraft with a 90/60 merc jet GPS around 40 to 45 and thats moving. It is alittle harder on gas as well but i will never go back to a prop again. Just something about running them flat over 6" of water to get back to them holes most people cant get to and catching load of fish.

6. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    How deep does the water have to be to get on plane?