What are commercially caught catfish used for?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Nobody Special, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Every restaurant I ever ate catfish in had small fillets apparently from farm raised fish. I've never seen one that served chunks of meat off of fish over a pound or two. So what do they do with all those bigger fish that commercial fishermen catch? Grind them up into something else?

2. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Alot of those big fish are sold to Pay pond owners and alot of family owned restaraunts buy the larger fish too.The restaraunts that have catfish nuggets on the menu are usually the ones that sale the big fish.As for the rest of em maybe they're shipped to other countries or something, I dont really know.

3. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I talk to a commercial fishermen a few years ago and he said pretty much all of his bigguns were sold to pay lakes. :sad2:

4. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    I personally have no clue...but i do have some friends that constantly ask me "why i don't go to some of the local pay ponds and catch of bunch of catfish!" :eek:oooh: I don't even try to explain anymore. :roll_eyes:
    They think it's a great deal to pay $10 for 7 fish, then pay $10 more if you want to catch another 7. These pay ponds also have at least "one fish over 40#" and if you catch it, you win $50. :beat_brick:
    Sheesh, i have no interest whatsoever in this type of deal. :confused2:
    It would be like puttin bluegill in my bathtub and grabbin an ultralight and a worm!
    anywho...got off on a bit of a tangent...these bigger "reward fish" have to come from somewhere, and i'm guessin that commercial fisherman would be the source.

cyas
    rc

5. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Chicken nuggets. Kidding....There is a guy near here that catches on the Mississippi River and he sells to the public for $2.50 a pound chopped into steaks. He probably catches about 50 to 100 pounds a day.

They say not to eat the fish caught on the river over 2 pounds but people buy it anyway. I guess they are hungry because they come back for more.

We have lots of big ones on the river because of the mercury and people are scared that the Mississippi will kill them.

6. adamf

adamf New Member

State:
    tennessee
    you can use them for stocking or eating if you catch the commercial fishermen at the right time

7. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I had two uncles who commercial fished. They both sold mainly to private individuals who knew they fished and didn't want to go to the trouble or didn't have time to catch their own. One would clean'em and sell them. The other would keep a live box and sell'em live, also he had a fish fry every Fri. night where he would provide the fish and others would bring dishes and beer and a good time was had by all! He was a very popular man.:smile2:

8. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Down Here In South La, The Big Ones Are Used...they R Partially Frozen And Sliced Very Thin Using A Meat Slicer And Battered And Fried(best Damn Catfish In The World Served At Middendorfs In Ruddock. And The Head And Guts Are Packaged In Waxed Cardboard Boxes And Sold As Crab Bait For 50lb @ About 18.00.
    Shaun

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I was talking to Tim Hagan after the last tourny and he was saying that they go and put them in a pond (after catching in the consumption alerted Potomac River, no more then 1 portion a month if that) to "detoxify" for a few months before selling to the public as a safe heathy fish for them to eat...

Thats is disturbing in and of itsself... the big fish i don't know what they are doing with them... hopefully they will be letting them back so that their income source doesn't lose all the breeding stock (not highly likely anyway but still) and then in turn lose all the small "edible" fish

10. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    yeah I heard they went to pay lakes and copped up to make nuggets

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I always thought, they sold them to the stores or to the restaraunts.

12. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    theres a guy in eastern ohio that does commercial cattin for his two pay ponds. and he also sells to others and to resturants. and the remark of putting a bluegill in a bathtub and grabbi your ultra light. pay lake fishing is nothing like that. in fact its harder to catch a fish in a pay lake than the river..
    and yes i fish them both. i enjoy getting in the tournaments they have.

13. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You cannot detox fish by putting them in fresh clean water. The mercury never leaves the fish or you. Im not sure about the other chemicals such as pcb's and iodine but I am sure about the mercury.

14. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Just a sad fact that they sell them to the "shooting fish in a barrell" places.

15. ohiohawghunter45067

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    it can be sad when you get people that dont respect the fish. but hey you have one of those in ever crowd sometimes.

16. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Rumor has it that mellon buys a fue once in a while. L.O.L. Bigcatman0816.

17. haroldlp

haroldlp New Member

State:
    IN
    Actually I would love to be able to fish someplace besides a pay lake. Just try getting into some of the better holes I used to fish on a river or lake in a wheelchair. They don't make the river banks and lakes wheelchair accessible these days, and most better pay lakes go out of their way to make sure everyone can have a good experience even in a wheelchair.

So before you automatically condemn anyone who fishes them take time to find out why they do. I spent over 45 years fishing in every imaginable river bank, lake and the ocean before becoming disabled. If it wasn't for the pay lakes around here my ability to fish would be almost nil.

Yes, I would dearly love to be able to get into some of my long time fishing spots, but that is not going to happen so I make do with the pay lakes. I do not think that makes me less of a sportsman or fisherman, I am just having to adapt to my personal circumstances.

18. ohiohawghunter45067

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    sorry about your condition harold. and i understand what you say.

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "...to "detoxify" for a few months before selling to the public ..."

I hope this is not true.

Mercury is in your, and the fish, for life. There is no way to "detoxify" them.

20. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sorry to hear about it, but you should move to Missouri. Almost all of the Missouri Department of Conservation lakes have very good handicapped access and even have handicapped parking. Some darned good catfishing in them too.