What an idoit! Is it legal to mount a cannon on my catfish boat?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Vonroc, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Went fishing at Delaware Reservoir in central Ohio on Friday night. As I approached the main marina boat ramp I noticed what appeared to be a sailing vessel on a trailer in the staging area of the boat ramp parking lot.The vessel appeared to be 30 to 40' long with a 30 mast in the center of the boat but no sails. It was loaded on a low style trailer so it didn't have the normal long keel under the boat like most sail boats. My first thought was why any one would use such a boat as that on this lake at night. More concerned with fishing I went about my own business. After launching my small 10' flat bottom boat I headed out to one of my hot spots. I anchored in about 10' of water 60' from shore and started to fish.The other shore line is about 1500' away For those unfamiliar with Delaware it is 1300 acres of water and 35 miles of shore line - very small lake. Out of the blue I hear a noise in the distance coming my direction. Wouldn't you know, it was the sail boat coming right at me. I had my lights on and also a lantern . I yelled you're going to go over my lines, and then yelled again. As the boat passed me within 10' from the end of my poles they said sorry. Now at this point I had a few choice words for them, however I did keep it clean because I could hear kids on the boat. Just goes to show you. So many a$$ holes and so few bullets! The night wasn't a total loss I did catch some cats biggest was 7.4 pounds. Is it legal to mount a lite weight cannon on my boat? ARRR matey send those scurvy dogs to Davy Jone's locker!

2. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    common courtesy is something i think alot of people are oblivious to
    or they are just do not care.
    them saying they were sorry (if it was actually meant) shows they were just plain foolish or oblivious to what they were doing.
    in broad daylight i allow a large distance when passing anyone on the water and a larger distance at night .
    it aggrivates me when someone does to me what you described so i try to not do that to others .
    i dont know what it would take to correct them , but i wish they would
    teach boating ethics when someone registers a boat.

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Unfortunately, this is a common occurance all over the country. Perhaps have a boating test kind of like a driving behind the wheel test? The applicant will be required to take an examiner out on a boat on a somewhat crowded lake and prove that they actually know what they are doing.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    theres nothing you can do about it...you cant fix stupid

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

**and to think they bred and passed on the stupid gene!!!!

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sail boat on a local lake? humm!!! no motor!! hummnn!!! after dark, no one can see!!! HUMMNNN!! I THINK I WOULD HAVE PULLED ANCHOR, SWAMPED THEM, SORTED OUT THE STUPIDITY AT THE RAMP! would have been a fight!!!!!maybe that's the youngun comin out! but i have some grey in the beard also!!:wink:

7. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Invest in a marshmellow gun. Later Andy

8. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    a wristrocket and a big ol marshmallow hurts LOL you would think a marshmallow is soft but it will leave a whelp be sure to let them sit and harden a little in the open air .

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    The marshmellow guns are pretty fun

10. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Got a better Idea!!!!!
    A Wrist Rocket and a bag of 4oz. egg weights would do a much better job in convencing them that they need to back off!!!!! Firing marshmallows at them would only bring them back for some more cause they are apperently to stupid to realize that you ain't feeding them, LMAO!!!

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Besides that they probably like smores....:smile2:

12. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Shoot em up with paint balls.Wonder if they make glow in the dark ones?

13. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's not just boat-to-boat stupidity... I fish on the bank, and several times have had guys in boats cruisin' the shoreline just come right up on me, not paying attention... so far, I've not had any serious run-ins with anyone (no fouled lines, etc.), but I'm sure the times a'comin....

I'll have to go buy a wristrocket now.... :wink:

14. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    The thing about marshmellows is that if you bounce them off of them, and they land in the water, you can justify the expense by calling it chum. LOL Later Andy

15. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    good idea except for the fact they had kids on board .i couldn't shoot lead weights into a crowd with kids in it . but would have no problem with adults only , if prevoked enough . sounds like jail time to me.
    aint worth goin to jail over.

16. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Instead of weights use stink bait will leave a nice impression

17. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've had same thing happen to me on lake and bank fishing. From boats to wave runners running across my lines. I be sitting there with poles out etc. and I guess they think I 'm impressed on how they can ride the thing. Even bass fishermen have come trolling by close to bank running over my lines and asking me if I'm having any luck. One time I said sure am. I 'm getting a bite right now. Its either your boat or your lure/rod, and when I set the hook , reel it in , I'm keeping it.LOL. Then what really gets me , they say, sorry, I didn't know we was over your lines. First clue is look at my pole's. I didn't cast in the woods so my lines must be in front of pole in water. wake up and smell the coffee. LOL.
    common courtesy, respect for others and their property is a thing in the past.

I aint going to type all details of what happen to my lake lot. Someone took it on their own to do a little landscaping. Long story. I aint a happy camper about it. Going back in a few to talk about it.
    I dont know why people think they can do what they wont on others property regardless if I live their or not. Thing is, its someone I know. Now I 'm going to have a bad wash out problem that if I fix, I bet it's going to be 1k or more in cost.
    I sure hope when I ask to put it back like it was, it dont get out of hand. i dont wont to loose a fishing buddy but at same time, a friend wouldnt of done it. I sure dont need these problems and I dont want to call the law but i might have too and it will be a waste of time.
    Courts dont help much on property damage. Been there done that.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Well, kids in the boat would certainly make a difference in my reactions, and I wouldn't recommend using any type of 'offensive weapon', such as paintball/marshmallow gun, slingshot, etc. It sounds like this was a case of 'stupid' rather than 'it's my world, get out of my way'. I'll make allowances for 'stupid', but the other deserves, and often gets, a 5-8 ounce sinker cast somewhere to cause the clod problems; i.e. bounce the sinker off his $8,000 outboard, or let the line wrap around his prop; for those idiots repeatedly running close by you, cast out past the offending boat and clothsline the idiot. After all, you're just fishing, right? You can't help it if some idiot runs so close to you it causes him problems. Believe it or not, I've run across guys so stupid that they ignored a big sinker smashing against their outboard, and continued to make passes withing 30' or so of us. One long cast just as the boat started its next pass and the line caught the guy. He managed to flilp it over his head, but he finally got the idea and moved further away.

19. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Thanks for your inputs it appears we mostly think alike on this.The thing that made me really mad was my boat and his ship was the only thing on the water that night. I would let it side if say maybe he was trying to avoid other traffic. After I watched him pass and go further down the lake it was easy to tell he didn't have a clue what he was doing. He started following the shore line where the water is shallow, at one point I heard him hit rocks with the bottom of his boat.

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    There's no point in getting all upset with someone that stupid because they won't even understand what you're talking about. If they get out on the water much though, Mother Nature will take care of them.