What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by motard1, May 13, 2008.

1. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I have been catfishing for a while, and still have the same problems. I just can't seem to catch the big ones. I fish alot at Cooper lake, and sometimes Tawakoni. I don't have a boat so I usually fish fromthe bank. A few weeks ago, I went to cooper when the spillway was open. I went 4 times in a week. Everyone was catching their limit but me. I have good rods and reels, and the same bait as everyone, so whats the deal. The best day I had that week, was 3 flatheads, about 18 to 22 inches. The next week, no cats at all. just 2 stripers and 2 crappie. The guy next to me caught a flathead about 3 feet long, no idea on the weight. Is there anything I am doing wrong?

2. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    First of all welcome to the BOC! We all have streaks of bad luck. Keep trying and talk to the others fishing. See if they are doing anything special for the water or area being fished. Hang in there and sure don't give up. I'm still waiting for my bigun too.

3. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I feel your pain... My spring has been very tough... One channel cat since february...

However, my luck will change the next time I go out! I'm bringing my good luck cigars, and will sacrifice a shad and some Danny King Original to the Catfish Gods.... I can't miss!:big_smile:

4. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Post on here what you are doing, how you are rigging, what bait you are using, location, etc. I'll try to help you out as much as I can and point you in the right direction.

5. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I have tried alot of different things. I've used live shad, minnows, goldfish, cut shad, grasshoppers, danny kings original, worms, etc. I've fished the bottom, under a cork, deep, and shallow. In my pond at home, I catch everything. I've been doing the same things at home that I do at the lake. At cooper, I usually fish by the spillway or the bird watching place. At tawakoni, I have fished all over. From the dam, to wind point park, and everywhere in between. I just seem to have no luck. The strange thing is, I used to catch 20-50 channels and blues a day at Cooper Lake last year. I was using the same bait then, as I do now.

6. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    I'm encountering the same problem and have seen that what used to work before isn't working now, I was shown that DK's was the best for this area and now nothing. I tried SureShot for about a gallons worth and caught a mess of fish, tried chumming since Feburary and am attracting fish (I see it on our cuda 168 fish finder) I just can't catch them, I have even cut back on the chum incase I was over chumming.
    All I can advise is to do as I am and check the members libaray, the bait section, find members close to your area and do as they do.

Rubes

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    how deep is the water at the tailrace you are fishing? i would try cut shad, live perch, and 5-8 inch carp and cut carp totally. is the bottom rock? are you fishing day and night? what kind of structure/cover is in the river downstream? any feeder creeks dump into the river? these would all be good places to target- shallo water at night or in the evening or morning. trees washed down and snagged up, and feeder creeks can be killer many times of the year. just be mobile, and keep it up and you will get back into them. welcome to the boc!

8. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I'm not sure of the depth, but the bottom is rock. I've tried fishing the bottom, but always snag in the rocks. The water flows out of the tailrace into the Sulphur river. As far as cover, the water is shallow unless the gates are open. When its open, the current is so strong I had to fish in a creek that runs off to the side. That day I caught three flats. I'm going to Cooper this friday, maybe I'll have better luck.

9. fatfreddy

fatfreddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    holiday marina is a good place to bank fish at tawakoni. the rocks at wind point should be good weve been tearing them up on the rocks as they are starting to spawn. seems a little late this year. there have been a lot of 25# plus fish caught there on cut shad. otherwise it may be time to invest in a boat.

10. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas

Welcome to the forum Motard ,I fish Cooper lake also I caught this blue in my pic their a month ago I think.I also fish at the spillway when its running and you may have seen me with a flathead their because I was catching some.Be advised that lots of the flatheads that you see those guys at the spillway catching are Foulhooked ! If you are targeting the big ones though you need to be sure and have fresh bait.Live bluegills or fresh dead shad is great bait.

11. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Also Cooper has been tough do to up and down water levels and the lake is very muddy.

12. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Thanks. I am going to try the bluegill friday. hopefully it works for me. I seem to have a never ending supply of bluegill in my pond, so that should work great. has anybody ever tried catalpa worms? A friend of mine said they work great at tawakoni, so i bought a dozen to try.

13. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Btw catalpa worms are great bait if they are fresh,not sure about the frozen ones.

14. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Catalpa worms worked great. The bluegill, not so much. The only fish I caught with bluegill was 2 gar. My bad luck seems to be over though, I did catch 22 cats, 6 of them good keepers. Minnows were also working grewat.

15. jasonthehunted

jasonthehunted New Member

State:
    texas
    looks like your streak is over with, way to go

16. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I hope so. Thanks.

17. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I have tried talking to fish, but I feel like a wierdo. I fished sunday and came close to landing my biggest blue ever. I was on the bank w/ 2 poles. I had one on the bottom w' shad and was throwing a jig w/ the other. I snagged the line on the bottom w/ the jig. When I did, there it was. One big catfish, maybe 3 feet long or so. I tried like crazy to turn it around, but no luck. It ended up breaking my line. Same thing happened w/ a striper, same day.

18. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Time for the big Penn and some 65 lb PowerPro.... Sorry about losing the big one. He's still out there though, and tomorrow is another day...

19. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Got the power pro today. I looked at big reels today, and liked a pflueger. Anybody ever used one?

20. Texas Trapper

Texas Trapper New Member

State:
    Texas
    If your pond has any small bullhead(mud-cat, pollys, whatever) 4-6 in. long, the big flatheads can't pass them up.

I like the Shakespear reel with the 65lb. Power Pro, since most of my fishing is in brushy water.:wink: