What am i doing wrong!!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by BigCat4, Aug 21, 2006.

1. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    Me and my dad went to day i used skipjack and he used a hole live bluegill....well he hooked one and it got about 3 away fromn the bank and spit it out...the fish was at least 25-35 lbs and i got a lot of good hits but couldnt hook them and i dont have the reels that you big time catfisherman use to let the fish run with it

what am i doing wrong!!?!?!?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If you do not have a bait clicker just loosen your drag up are open your bail to let the fish run. When the fish stops tighten the drag and cross his eyes. you may also consider leaving a good amount of slack in your line also.

3. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Travis, it helps to catch big fish by using big hooks. You also need to make sure that you're leaving a big enough gap between your hook point and your bait to get a good hookset - especiall if you're using a big piece of cutbait or a whole gill.

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Travis - make sure that you're using a big enough hook, and that you have enough hook showing when you put you bait on to get a good hookset. Sometimes if your hook is too small or you have it buried in your bait you won't be able to hook the fish, or you will hook it very lightly & it will pull out. I'm thinking that's probably what happened this time. And don't worry about not having a big,expensive reel. Just make sure that you have good line (not old or frayed) and your drag set right. And if you don't have a clicker, just try what Benji suggested - that should work pretty well. Good luck & keep trying.

5. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I agree ,it sounds like your not using a big enough hook for the size bait you are using to get a good hook set. keep trying.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe Pat and Kirk may have hit the nail on the head. Other than that, them darn gar can sure make a reel sing and it is hard as the devil to get a hook into them. If it is gar, and they are hitting, your bait probably won't set still for a cat to get to it. Darn gar...sure fun to catch but pretty much useless.

7. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    sounds like your doing everything right, my father in law dosnt have special cat gear either just bigger hooks on his bass stuff, just make sure your drag is set, your hook is big enough, and you have good line and you should do fine

8. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    How are you hookin your bait? Through the lips is good and through the tail is ok. I think you should try those things and see what happens.