What am i doing wrong?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TacomaNC4x4, Jun 26, 2006.

1. TacomaNC4x4

TacomaNC4x4 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    im tired of catching small fish. ive never caught a big cat, the biggest ive caught was like 15lbs. what am i doing wrong. im useing small brim for bait. i fish off the bank with rods, i dont care much for limb lines, etc. i mainly fish in the cape fear in NC right where it starts above buckhorn. i dont know much about catfishing other then leting the bait sit at the bottom. where are they at right now? are they in deep water or will i have better luck closer to the bank? also what kind of setup is best to use? ive been using about a 2oz weight, and my bait about 10inchs below that. it just dont seem to be working out that good. i dont think im doing something right. could someone give me some tips on the best way to set up the rod?

2. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    What kind of rod and reel do you have? Alot of people here swear by the Abu Garcia Ambassaduer and an Med/Hvy Ugly Stik or a Penn 209 on an Ugly Stick, I would go with 20-30 lb line, I like Cajun Line, but there are others who don't alot like the Berkley Big Game line. Your rig sounds right if you are using a carolina rig, I might up the size of your bait 4-6 inch bluegils/bream, creek chubs, if you can get fresh shad or skipjacks those are great because they are very oily and leave a good scent trail in the water. Look for structure, most of your big cats are going to be in or by structure, look for submerged logs, brushpiles, undercuts in the bank, and channels. Time of day is not as critical as you may think, but night still produces some big cats as well as the daytime. Structure and bait should get you into something big, even though 15lbs is nothing to laugh at!

Aaron

TA2D

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Welcome to the BOC!!!

You may need to find another spot to fish. I will go out on a limb here and say that where you are fishing gets a lot of pressure, that is a probem. You need to find a place along the bank with shallow water and some visable structure of some sort, next to a deep drop off, that no one fishes. You might want to go exploring for a day and find a suitable spot that has no path to it.
    I would also concider using a slip rig or a three-way rig with the weight on the bottom. You don't want these fish to feel the weight before they take the bait.
    Also bigger baits and big hooks might help some. For instance when you go out to eat, do you want a big steak or a Mcdonalds happy meal? That is how big fish get big, by eating big. Throw a 6" bluegill on a 10/0 king kahle and see what happens. You may not catch many fish, but the ones that you do catch will be better quality.

4. TacomaNC4x4

TacomaNC4x4 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    about what debth should i be fishing at? should i just look for brush, etc and fish that right on the bottom with a carolina rig? it seems like im always getting hung up and lately ive been setting my hook about 1ft above the weight, with the weight on the very bottom. should i just go back to useing the carolona rig? also i like to catch bream a good while before i go but they usely end up dead by the night or thenext night, could i just put them on ice and use them like that or do they need to be alive?

5. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    The first thing that I'd do is talk to other fishermen and find out if big cats are in the area that you're fishing. After that, you should eventually hook into one by simply putting in your time and fishing where the big cat comes for his groceries! You'll have to move around to different locations before you'll find "the spot on the spot", but it will happen. Look for bait fish, current breaks, depth changes, structure or anything that looks "different" from the rest of the area. Sounds like you may want to try some bigger baits too.
    Good luck, and let us know how things progress for ya!

6. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    If you can't keep them alive, put them on ice, or try to catch them right before you go, or try to catch some of the baitfish that are in the river. With a Carolina rig, I would go with 12-18 inch leader less if the cover is thick, 2oz weight sounds right unless the current is really strong. Like Dreadnaught said, big bait = big fish, but don't overload your current rig, fish with what you can handle. Don't worry too much about the big ones, they will come when you least expect it! Oh by the way welcome to the site, I hoe that you enjoy it!

Aaron

TA2D