Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all fellow cat hunters....new to the site and have a few questions! first off im an avid cat hunter myself along with anything else that swims....i fish mainly neuse river bewteen smithfield and goldsboro... ive caught plenty of fish and have taken many of my friends to catch their share of nice cats as well...i have found one particular spot fishing from the bank that i always catch at least 4 or 5 decent cats in a single trip but just cant seem to hook up with a big boy...average of what im catching is 10 - 15 lb range and biggest ive pilled out is about 25....i always go out with multple rods...my tackle setup consists of 4 diawa sl30sh spooled with 40lb big game mono and 7 foot tsunami rods rated 20 - 50 lbs....bait mainly cut bluegill and shad ALWAYS fresh and i always set one rod up with a live bluegill also i will fish live and cut eel...ive tried multiple approaches...floating under bobber and carolina rig on the bottom...i vary my cut bait size from small to med - lg...i know there are some big daddys hanging around in this area of the neuse have seen many of them caught 40 - 50lb range just cant seem to hook up with one myself?!? any extra advice?? attached is a recent pic of my trip bank fishing last night. thanks all!

Attachments

· Registered
1,548 Posts
If you are getting them in the 10 to 20 lb range I would dare to say you are doing nothing wrong. If you want one bigger than that keep fishing and it should happen. Definately some big fish in the nuese. There are alot of people on here that fish that river around your area and they should chime in.

You have the bait covered and your tackle is more than enough. Sounds like you got everything covered.

Welcome to the BOC!!!!

· Registered
2,534 Posts
I always dedicate 1 rod to a bait that would choke a dinosaur. Use a 10-12 oz. weight or bigger and anchor that 1 1/2 pound green sunfish to the bottom off to the side away from all the commotion and noise from fishing. You wont get as many bites on that pole. But, when you do .........

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys i didnt think i was doing anything wrong....and yes ive been having one rod set up with a whole hand sized live bluegill and i sink him out next to some bridge pilings then come up and set the rest of my rods think i will just keep at it untill somethin picks it up an hopefully that will happen i want a big boy!!

· Registered
484 Posts
Sounds like your "big bait rod" is out to deep. If you are fishing at night with live bait try fishing closer to the shore in shallow water for flatheads. Last time i went fishing in the neuse was a few weeks ago and dave hooked a monster that was no more than a foot from the shore. This was on an outside river bend +++:good: We also anchored in 3 ft. of water and fished a down tree and caught one flattie. Big blues will be moving shallower right now for the spawn as well. Any other time of the year they will be in the main channel on drop offs and in the current. Your cut bait is best for them, but live bait will work too, especially in may and june when the males are aggressive.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks ill take that into consideration! ive been fishing at ferry bridge the past few nights and not doin to bad...setting up right on the boat ramp and my big bait rod i had with live bluegill was sent out about half way of the river in about 5-6 foot of water.... ive got a spot im gona try very soon and its in the outside of a river bend and half way through the bend is a small creek that is only about a foot deep comes into the river and as the curve ends there is a right nice spot in the center of the river that is a huge rock pile but where the creek comes in is a nice 8 foot deep hole im going to hit that spot and setup on it very soon...it has all the makings of a big fish spot but ill let yall know if it produces!!

· Registered
41 Posts
my advice....
if you access to boat, use it.
While bank fishing can land you more quantity, i have found that a boat will give much better quality.

I also fish the Neuse.
From the dock at the landing, we have seen FEW fish over 15 come in, most are 5 or so.
Once in a while you get that "stupid fish" and a 25 lb fish is brought in.

BUT! get in the boat, go 100 yards or so to the deeper, darker, cooler water.... the fish suddenly turn into 40, 50, 60 pounders. In 2006-2008 the little team i was on caught hundreds of fish, all monsters, while watching the folks on the docks pull in fish we would have used as bait. (look at some of my pictures. These are from just two consecutive weekends.)

If you are confined to the banks, get that bait out as far as you can, but be smart about it.
Dont just throw it in the middle. Find an area that has a ledge, or some submerged structure.
Flatheads are partially ambush creatures. they will sit in a covered hole while the current brings food past them, then they strike. Unless the fish is hungry, or just out cruising and stumbles on your bait, it will be difficult to accidentally catch a monster.

They are big because they were smarter than the rest. Now you need to be smarter than him.

If you were a fish, where would you hide? Away from anything that could hurt you. Hidden, away from the docks and boat landings. Somewhere calm, where the food is brought to you.

Hope this helps, the Neuse has some seriously big fish in it.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks man! and yea i always try and steer clear from the heavly fished areas...ill walk down through the woods and find spots that look good to fish and like you said i know there are good fish in that river just gota be smart and find one!

· Registered
716 Posts
Sounds like your "big bait rod" is out to deep. If you are fishing at night with live bait try fishing closer to the shore in shallow water for flatheads. Last time i went fishing in the neuse was a few weeks ago and dave hooked a monster that was no more than a foot from the shore. This was on an outside river bend +++:good: We also anchored in 3 ft. of water and fished a down tree and caught one flattie. Big blues will be moving shallower right now for the spawn as well. Any other time of the year they will be in the main channel on drop offs and in the current. Your cut bait is best for them, but live bait will work too, especially in may and june when the males are aggressive.
What he said. The one that i hooked into that night was def. a beast and it was probably in a foot or 2 of water under a bunch of limbs. Thats how he got off. But those are the places youre going to catch the biggens. Find the place where you almost KNOW youre gonna get hung up, and thats where youre gonna find that fat-n-nasty. I ended up landing a 20 lb blue from the middle of the river. I also had one in the middle that turned our right handed threaded rod holder loose and i KNOW was tight as a bull frogs ass. he of course got off immediately though. Keep it up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.