What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by preshrd3cpy, Jul 23, 2009.

1. preshrd3cpy

preshrd3cpy New Member

State:
    Calhoun,Tennessee
    Went to the river Hiwassee last night and caught several small blue gill for bait. The area fisherman told me its the best catfish bait for the area. So I set up some pole and used the fish hooked thru the top/bottom lip thru the back and cut them up. I casted out and set there and waited and waited nothing not even a bite any tips would be great.:angry::sad2::smile2:

2. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Patients is the most important.

Could be location, different depth, weather, fish could be full,.

I have had days where fresh bait did nothing but some smelly mix killed.

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Move around too..Don't sit in one spot too long..I believe you said your fishing out a boat so its easy to crank up and move around..I give them no more than 30 minutes @ a spot..Get a fish/depth finder if you don't have one already..That should help locate where to fish too.Look for activity on the surface such as shad running or birds flying over certain areas..Try mixing up your bait with some natural and maybe use some chicken liver and chicken breast..Theirs a guide I talked to that fishes the Chickamauga and all he uses to catch trophy cats is chicken breast..Don't get discouraged summertime is always a difficult time to locate cats..

4. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    do what les said and also if i was in a boat and knowing the tenn state record flat came out of that river i woud rig up a couple of the slip float rigs using the pool noodle (look in library) and set it at about 5' and let them kinda drift with the current over some log piles and flats on the inside bends of the river with those bluegill!!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  5. Brad30110

Brad30110 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I fish mainly for flatheads, I think the best place is log jams! I fish mainly tight lining around the log jam. If you could find one along the river and set up just on the upside of it it would be your best bet. Just throwing a bluegill in open water probably wont land you a monster quickly. Other option is to fish a steam plant, or dam.

6. gruffy911

gruffy911 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey I been catching a few on chicken livers over next to Blyth Ferry, just a couple of miles from where the Hiwassie runs into the Tennessee River. Some times when I go I catch quite a few and the next time not to many. You never know.

7. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Man you dont want to know how many times I went fishing in a boat without catching a fish. I would go out and ancore in one spot and spend all day and night there hoping the fish would come to me. Then I talked to a few people and they said stay an hour if no fish move. So i went out one day and stayed in an area an hour and didnt catch anything. Then moved and caught a bunch of fish. Then the bite stoped and i moved 3 or 4 more times that day and caught a ton of fish. now that i know the area pretty well i can just go to a hole and fish. But it takes time and patience. Good luck out there. Andrew Oh yea its already been said, but mix up your baits too.

8. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    David remember above all things Patience is a virtue. I am still learning many things, but patience is one that has helped greatly. I also have learned that if I don't get a bite in about 15 to 20 minutes I check my bait as I can't tell you how many times I have reeled in after an hour of sitting (patience) just to find an empty hook. This also helps with the 30 minutes per spot thing in that everytime I reel in I cast to a completely different area. Some times farther out sometimes closer to shore. It's hard to predict exactly what the cats are doing and unless you know the bottom structure then changing location may totally change the environment your bait is placed in at any given time. You may cast fifty feet out from shore and your bait drop off a ledge and settle at its bottom. You might cast out forty feet and your bait land at the top of the ledge or drop over the edge and land on a ladge where a cat is waiting for a take out order.

Above all fish as much and as often as you can and keep a log book of conditions when you are catching. I'm starting one now myself as I can't remeber all the details from what worked when it worked.

9. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'd hook them through the back, right under and behind the dorsal, stay alive longer for me that way.

10. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Also what I like to do is reel in my tight line real slowly a few cranks every few minutes..Sometimes that lil bit of movement or flash of silver off that piece of skipjack will draw a bite..And if I'm fishing with a cork I like to "pop it" every few minutes too..Sometimes that'll draw a bite too..

11. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yep. A catfish has new requirements every single day.:smile2::wink: