What am I doing wrong with circle hooks?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Chief, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    went fishing in the wabash yesterday. put 2 lines in. both with 4/0 gamakatsu oct circles. 3oz bank sinker and chicken liver. casted both rigs out into "good looking spots" set them in my rod holders and sat there drinkin a pepsi. current was kinda strong so my rod tips are flexing a little and unflexing. then all of a sudden my rod flexes way down and holds there for a split second and then unflexes back up. was it a fish? i read an infisherman article on the setups guides use when using circle hooks. i'm doin everything by the book. mono line instead of spectra so it will strech a little and give. uglystik catfish rods that load up nice( according to what i read) and rod held at a 45-60degree angle from the water. can anyone see a flaw in my system? i know its early in the season and fish arent biting real well yet.

2. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I would say make sure that the tip of the hook is exposed and that you do not have your reel in free spool. Also don't try to set the hook, just start reeling as the rod loads up! If a fish pulled your rod down, it should have been fish on!

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I personally would not use chicken livers with circle hooks, They wont stay in place on your hook and may have stoped the point from hooking the fish.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Sounds to me like a limb or a piece of debris of some sort got caught on your line and released itself. It happens alot when the rivers are up. You will know when it happens(fish on), Good Fishin Friend!!!

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Using them in my opinion. Try Kahles with the size matched to your bait size and see if you don't see better results like I did. At least now when I get a huge hit and miss it, it's not from watching the rod and doing nothing! LOL

6. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i had all my free spools off and my drag set tight. i made sure when i hooked my bait that i left the point exposed. it probably was a stick or something cause everything was swirling around in that eddy pool

7. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I use liver on circle hooks all the time and do well with them. I like a larger hook than what your using, I go with a 6/0 to 8/0 and will use a fairly small glob of liver to the hook size, maybe the size of a golf ball. The other thing that I do that seems to help is I make my rod solid. I put a rock on the handle end to secure it in the holder, I'm assuming your bank fishing and using a forked stick or a metal "Y" holder. In a boat I use the rod holders making sure the latch is closed so I don't lose a pole or if I put the pole down in the boat I put my foot against it and I don't pick the rod up until it is bent double. While I enjoy catching fish on a circle hook I've about come full circle and am back to using a non-circle type hook because I get a kick out of setting the hook on a fish. I just miss the peck, peck, jerk sequence and the feeling of success when you get the hook set solid and you fist feel the weight of the fish. One thing on liver, use only fresh chicken livers never buy frozen livers unless it's late at night and your making an emergency run for bait.lol Fresh livers are solid and stay on the hook well, frozen livers turn to mush and tend to fall off the hook easily.

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    My best guess would be that your hook wasn't protruding, you had a turtle, a gar, or some debris caught your line for a min.

9. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    If I Was Fishing In A High To A Medium Current River, I Don't Think I Would Have Used Chicken Livers For Bait. Since You Were Already Using Circle Hooks, You Might As Well Been Using Some Cut Bait. It Will Definitely Stay On The Hook Better Than Liver. Not That You Were Wrong In Your Bait Selection, But It Might Have Been More Productive In A Slack Water Hole Or A Very Low Current Situation. I Think J.w. Hit It Right On The Money About River Current Debris. Its Something You Can't Avoid When Fishing In The Current. Also Check Your Hooks For Sharpness. One Snag On A Rock, Limb, Or A Stump Can Dull The Point Of Your Hook Just Enough To Keep You From Landing A Trophy Fish Of A Lifetime. Better Luck To You Next Time.

10. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i made a nice set of rod holders out of 3 foot rebar bent to 60 degrees with 1 1/4 inch pvc hose clamped to the rebar. its super solid. and why such big hooks? i'd rather catch a few small cats than nothing. can a small channel cat get an 8/0 circle hook with bait in its mouth?

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    "Yes", They can and do.

12. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    alright thanks for a the great info and advice i'll use up the pack i got now and bump the size up a little.

13. aaronm283

aaronm283 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i would try useing cut bait instead of the live in swift waters

14. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I used to use liver all the time, the best hook I have found to hook liver is a treble hook, more hooks for the liver to stick to and more hooks to hook the fish. I have quit using liver though since I target bigger fish. I use gamakatsu octopus 7/0-10/0 and they work great for me with cut bait. I tried circles but I would much rather bury the hook in a fish and feel the weight of it during a hookset, thats the best part of fishing to me.

15. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Waters still dang cold and those channel cats don't exactly destroy a bait when it's like that.

I caught 5 channels a couple of weeks ago...........I started off with circles, had lots of hits and "mini" runs but never hooked a fish. Switched to a 2/0 Gama Wide-gap finesse hook and proceeded to catch fish. I don't believe the fish were willing to pull hard enough to get the hook to work. Sometimes I don't believe channels like things that pull back or gives them resistance, I know my limber channels rods will out fish my stiff graphite rods 10-1 guaranteed!!! Follow Bryans advise and get yourself some control over the situation.

I really like circles in the current during the summer(for channels), but you'll have better luck this time of year gearing up like a finesse walleye fisherman.JMHO

16. balddaddy91

balddaddy91 New Member

State:
    East Liverpool,Oh
    totaly agree on khale hooks:cool:

17. Riverjake

Riverjake New Member

State:
    Joplin MO
    May be just a personal preference but I only use circle hooks with cut bait or on some of the larger hooks with live bait. For chicken livers and most channel baits I prefer the Kahle hook. The more exposure of the hook point the better on the circles. Chicken livers and shad gut types of bait seem to fill the gap more than I prefer.

18. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Someone plz explain to me how a "Circle Hook" will get more fish than other hooks??

OR is this just a "WANTA DO" thing??

:confused:

"Always Willing to LEARN"

19. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    I feel like I "fish" too much for circle hooks. I don't feel right without the peck, peck, rip thier lips off technique. I lost several fish on several occasions because I didn't wait and tried the hook set. Needless to say Im back to regular hooks.

Lucas:cool:

20. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    1st

For whats it's worth, I've waited hours if not longer to see if they would stop the pecking and just take the bait. Most all the time they, FLATHEADS just continued to peck and or LEAVE!!!!!! I go for it when the opportunity comes along ;) !

Again the question I posted above on the "Circles" plz??????? :confused: