What abu should i get?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Ghoulscout 13, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    well with chirstmas getting closer and closer im starting to think about getting my list together and being so poor ive decided to put an abu up on toward the top of her, so i want a reel that is going to bring in big fish once i get a boat, but still keep the little fish fun to catch, if that makes any sense, so what do you abu owners think. oh and im gonna be puting it on a white ugly stick catfish rod if that helps. thanks alot for your imput guys and ghouls.

Devin

2. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Would Recommend An Abu 6500C3.

3. bigred

bigred New Member

State:
    indiana
    get u a abu 6000 from walmart or where ever. they go for like 60 bucks.

4. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Any Ambassadeur 6000 and up should do great. Those reels will hold enough line and will bring in just about anything. Hope that helps!!

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well the 6500c3s are $75ish. the only real difference between it and a 600 is the 65oo has bearings on both sides of spool. the 6000 has a brass bushing on one side and is red. so really the same reel. i have 2 6500c3s and a 6000. love em both. the 6000s are $60.

the 5500 has no bait click. the 6000 and 6500 both do. good luck. both or all three will fit a ugly great. i have one too. great rods.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Abu 6500 or 7000, in my opinion the 7000 is much better in most situations for catfish.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I wouldn't go smaller than a 4500 It can handle some nice cats and still keep the smaller one's fun, but no bait clicker. The 5000 is a good reel also no bait clicker. So that goes to the 6000 still fun for the small stuff and can haul in the monsters with a clicker. Now that I think about it the 4500 maybe a bit small, so I say no smaller than a 5000.

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Id go with a 6500, but it depends on if you want a baitclicker. You could always go down to the 5000 which is a great little reel too.

9. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    thanks alot guys, im gonna ask for a 6500c3

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't really know that it matters that much as to which reel you get - the important thing is to apply scheduled maintenace to the reel of your choice. A little oil goes a long, long way.

My preference would be any of the abu reels which has a clicker (line out alarm). The next thing I look for is line capacity. I get those two things and I am set. I got a 5000 I bought in 1962 and it still works good. And, I am sorry to say, I have neglected this reel quite abit. But it loves to fish and has never let me down. LOL

11. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    thats an all around reel you can still fish for bass crappie or smaller fish yet takle some good cats too , good choice id say , good luck hope santa is feelin nice

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    If you still want to fish for smaller fish stick with the abu 6000 it has a bait clicker for catfishing and can still be used to bass fish if you must:lol: .

13. Catman 1964

Catman 1964 New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Flathunter gave me some good advice I got the new 6500C3 and it has a smoother drag than last years model. Take care and God Bless.

14. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Devin, If you plan to regularly target larger fish and use a line testing over 40 or 50 lbs. Get the 7000. The 6500 is a great reel if you are gonna use 30lb mono or less. With the 7000 you can handel any size line or fish so its easy to scale down to the size fish you're after. If you go with a 6500 you will be wanting a larger reel once you start catching bigger fish. If you know someone with both, head out to the water and give each a try, there is a big difference between the two.

15. Clovis

Clovis New Member

State:
    Paris Tennessee
    Where can one find a 7000?
    I have searched basspro, and cabelas online and can't find anything over a 6500C3

16. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    my favorite. Use it for carp as well. I put the the smoothie drag washer upgrade in it. Pretty simple and effective upgrade.

17. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    Wal-Mart or catfish connection has the 7000s pretty reasonable

18. hailei

hailei New Member

State:
    AL
    fish wit what u got, when ever the fish start tearing up your rods etc. then up grade i know how it is to get a new boat and u want everything. tear your old stuff up and then upgrade it's only rods !

19. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    They are pretty easy to find, Wal-Marts usually carry them, Catfishconnection.com, ebay, just about any place that sells fishing gear. Bass Pro has them around here but they cost more there.

20. ironorr

ironorr New Member

State:
    Michigan
    If you order from BassPro online, the 7000C3 reels are under the Saltwater fishing reels section.