What Abu Garcia Baitcaster fishing do you use for catfish?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by flathead_ky, Jun 8, 2006.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am thinking about buying a couple of Abu Garcias for catfish. I usually use my Spinning outfits, but I am looking around for some Abus. What Abu Garcia reel do you use for cats?

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    ooooh. Where do I start?'

I have a couple of 5500 C4 winches that I like a lot, for light to medium duty cattin.
    Also have a regular 6500 C4 - good tight reel but the gear ratio is a bit high for my tasts.
    Also have a trophy series (redfish) - basically a 6500 C4 with the medium gear ratio - just about the perfect catfish reel to me.

3. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    I like the 6500 sized reels for most of my catfishing. I find it helps a lot if you get one of the models that has the power handle, like the 7000 sized reels. Give you a bit more power than the paddles that come on most 6500's.

If you buy one of those 6500 cl3's from Walmart, they are a good reel and you can get a power handle aftermarket for less than $20.00.

4. Whiskers4U

Whiskers4U New Member

State:
    PA
    The Garcia 6500 series is hard to beat for cats. It is a work horse of a reel.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use 6000, 6500c3, and 7000...They all have there place and work well, my biggest flathead of 50-lbs came on a 6500 c3.

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I personally have nothing but bad things to say about the 6500...I think i got ahold of 2 that were plain JUNK, I have 1 that is okay..But anyways, i went ahead and got me a 7000, and I LOVE IT, not 1 problem, and it always is good for horsin a big one in

7. catsrking

catsrking New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a couple of Penns and also an Abu 6500c3. Flathunter, it has been a good reel & is good to know it can handle a fish that big! I really like the drag.

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The abu 6000, 6500, and if your bank fishing with a long rod the 7000. I have owned all three for years and have had great success. 777

9. bluecatmaster

bluecatmaster New Member

State:
    oh
    i use the 5600 c4 abu garcia bait casters and shakesphere the bigger spool the better plus you can fill the spool up with more line :cool2:

10. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    2 6000's and a 5000's

11. Cody

Cody New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    I use the 6500s.

12. meat_hunter

meat_hunter New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    We Like The 6500 And The 7000

13. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I got my first abu this year 6600ssc3 and i really like it now that i know how to use it.

14. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    I mostly use Penn 209's, but I've got a Abu 5000 on an Ugly Stik Lite that I really like. It's a real smooth reel.

15. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've got the red 6000 walmart special. It's worked well for me, and I'm looking to add a nicer one to my collection on of these days.

16. gardengrz

gardengrz New Member

State:
    wakeman,ohio
    i have an old 6000c and a 5600c. both on 7 ft. ugly cat rods.

17. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I usually fish with two of the red abu 6000's and one Penn 9.

18. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I use Abu garcia 7000's, and also have an Abu 10000 What an awesome reel!!!! soon I'll be adding a 9000 (same as the 10000 but a narrower spool) and putting it on an 11' penn surfcasting rod I'll be able to really reach out there then.

19. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i prefer 7k's but have used 5 and 6's i love the bait cliker option

20. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I have run everything from the Wal-Mart Special 5,000 to my most recent upgrade to the 7,000. I have loved them all!!! I recently landed a 35-40lb fish on my 6500cc on an 8ft ugly stick!!! I don't like the fact that the 7000 only has one large handle instead of the two split grips. I have gone to real in a few fish and missed the handle at first, can be a bit frusterating, but just something to think about!!!