what abu for river fishing

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by BIG_D, Jul 14, 2009.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    sins i am moving so close to the river now most of my fishing will be on the sippi and IL. rivers what abu's do you like best on the river
    one of my faves is the 7000i but i would like to see what every one else likes on the river

2. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've had very good luck with the 6500 c's but recently converted to the 7000 Pro Rockets and absolutely love them. Stay safe and good fishing:wink:

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use 7000 pro rockets or c3i :wink:

4. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    I like to use the 6500 alot, it's easier to handle, but for more line capacity I go to my 7000. I doesn't matter which one I use, I know that the abu's hardworking dependable reels.:big_smile:

5. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    7000's should be fine, i myself use 9000's on the river though.

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
  7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like the 7000's. But, I stay away from the i reels. I dont like the lever release. My best reel is a 7000 c3. I put a bearing level wind and a bearing idler in it. Super smooth reel. Very tough drag stack. Love it!

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I agree 7000 should be enough but i dont have any 7's i like the size of my 9i for heavy current.

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    7000ic3 for me!!!!!!:wink:

10. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    7000ics Pro Rockets on my boat. :wink:

11. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Probably overkill, but I just got a great deal on some 10000i 's so thats what I am using. Next set up will likely be a 7000i or a 9000i, if i find a deal on the 9 i will get it but 7 should be fine. It all depends on how much capacity you would like, if you are fishing tail races or deep water and of course, if you are using mono or braid, a 7000 with braid is plenty....if you want mono because its your preference, the price, or because you want flourescent line then you might need to get a 9 or a 10000 to get the capacity you desire......decisions...decisions :wink:

12. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    The only Abu I have is a 6500C. I use it mostly for water with less current. Whenever I go down to the river, I prefer one of my Penns. But this is because I fish mostly with the clicker and the Abu clicker can't stand up to the current w/o letting all my line out.

13. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I know you said Abu's but, for the price....Penn's GT2 or GTi series are good reels with capacity for river fishing for the price...as well as the classic workhorses the 209 and 309. Although they are not as good for casting distance unless you really have them down IMO.

14. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    I used to always say that my Abu could out-cast anything...but...things changed. I've gotten better at casting my Penns (especially my 9M). I'm sorry to have to say it, but I can out cast my 6500C (on 8' ugly stick) with my 9M (on 7' Zebco Cheapo). Don't get me wrong, I still love my 6500C, it's the most forgiving caster I have- just not quite enough of a reel for the river current.

15. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i like penn to and i have a few but im stuck on these abu's

16. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    The clicker on the 7000's is much stouter (and louder) than the 6000's.:wink: