What about those license fee changes?

Discussion in 'LOCAL VIRGINIA TALK' started by jeremiad, Aug 28, 2006.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Virginia raised the price of licenses $2.00 higher than stated in the updated manual; watch out! I notice, though, that the new licenses are good for a year from the date of purchase now, which is an improvement.

Does anyone know if locality fees have increased as well? That is, fees payable to cities and counties for fishing impoundments, reservoirs, etc.

I also noticed that online, the National Forest Stamp runs for one year starting January in the fishing area, but from July in the hunting area. Is this a misprint? My understanding is that they continue for one year from January, period.

Thanks!

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Jere,

Here is a paragraph I copied from the VDG&F. Also, the place selling the license gets a 1.00 instead of .50 cents.

At its June 20, 2006 meeting, the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries adopted final amendments to regulation 4 VAC 15-20-65 that increases hunting, trapping, and fishing license fees and some permit fees, for persons 16 years of age and older, five dollars per license or permit, effective July 1, 2006 and increases the permit to fish for one day at board-designated stocked trout fishing areas with daily use fees two dollars per permit effective January 1, 2007.

3. ivan09193

ivan09193 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    If it means better fishing for us, than I'm all for it.

4. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    I just wish the fish would realize this! :haha:

5. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I think the last time the State raised the fee was in 1988. So, as long as the money is well spent, I have no problem with the increase.

6. DirtyHowi

DirtyHowi New Member

State:
    va
    i spend a lot of time at the chicahominy and amelia WMA ranges (love tack driving), the fees go alot toward them fixing up those areas (and the other WMA's), i got my license before the fee went up but will have no problem buying the fishing license next year at that price.

The amelia range was a real dump, went back a few weeks later (it was closed for repairs) figuring they weren't really doing much, and man what a difference, felt good to actually be able to see where my money was going instead of it just ending up in a big dark government hole somewhere. and i work for the state :)

7. WHEELMOBILE07

WHEELMOBILE07 New Member

State:
    Martinsville, Virginia
    Well i really don't have much say in the matter or much influence on what the government does, so i Guess I'll just keep buying the license no matter what the cost because fishing is my passion, and i always follow the rules not matter what.

Wheelmobile07

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    In Oklahoma I believe the legislature raised our license and imposed a $5.00 legacy permit fee on top of each hunting/fishing license sold - for as long as the grass is green and the rivers flow. The money from these permits are supposedly to improve habitat, and to purchase land for sportsment. My beef, and it is a big one, is that in Oklahoma, if your not in the south, southeast, east or northeast, you basically have nothing. All the large rivers and large impoundments are in that area. In central Oklahoma and western OK, there is very sparse fishing. We have the Cimmaron river and the N and S Canadian rivers, but all three of these rivers usually are so shallow you can wade across them in high top tennis shoes without getting the top wet. When the state does spend/purchase with this money, it is again in these same areas and it usually goes more to the hunting side than the fishing. They keep getting more and more, we keep getting less and less. I told the State representatives this past weekend that if they could not do anything for us fishermen in the central, west and northwest parts of the state, at least supplement our gas money so we can go to the other areas. This is really one part of the Oklahoma Government that I really don't like.

9. jeremiad

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the input, everyone! Note that I'm not complaining, just pointing out a couple of misprints in the book.

I agree that Virginia is doing quite a bit of work on prime fishing spots (but I notice that the roads aren't getting repaired as often as they used to :eek:oooh: ).

10. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    I 'm in aggreement with an increase,which we just got one also. As long as the money is being used to further or keep our waters safe and productive for all to enjoy

11. shaddaddi

shaddaddi New Member

State:
    smith mountain lake,VA
    I have no problem with the increase but then again I bought my lifetime fishing license a couple of months ago.