What about the Clarion River?

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by trc10, Jun 28, 2008.

1. trc10

trc10 New Member

State:
    PA
    Do any of you know if there are good areas on the Clarion River for catfishing? Are there Flatheads in the Clarion? I'm wanting to try this catfish thing and would like to know where to start in the Clarion, Jefferson, Clearfield county area.

Thanks,
    Tom

2. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    I'm not sure about there being cats in the clarion river, I have never fished it,but I do know there are flatheads and channels in the Slippery rock and also the conequenesing creek so there is a good chance that they are there. I have caught flats up to 30# out of the slippery rock creek. Got out yesterday to the slippery rock, me and my buddy did pretty good between the two of us we caught about 15 flats, not bad I thought considering the spawn. Good luck and let me know if the flats are in the Clarion.

3. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Yep! I'm going to do it. Its high up on my priority list.

sadly tho' if flatheads are you sole desire you're a few miles OFF. There are no known reports of flatheads in the clarion.
    If you really want catfish talk to some of the serious allegheny anglers= they just might be able to help!:big_smile:

what makes clarion worth a 40 mile drive from Warren PA (besides a well known dearth of trophy catfish up here) is its consistent catch of large channel catfish 10-20#. look up the 2005 / 2006/ 2007 state lists and you will see it mentioned several times. along with lake arthur, and lake erie.

I even know where; Gravel lick road, just below cooks forest. Unfortunately tom I would be a total neophyte there; I've never fished it.

Thats going to change and soon. seriously planning a trip during the 4th of july weekend.

It would be interesting to know, where on the alleghany flatheads are unpractical to fish for; emlenton; oilcity/franklin/ maybe even tionesta...
    Jay

PS. Let me know if you decide to seriously pursue this. perhaps we could meet up ??:big_smile:
    Jason

4. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA

Just kind of curious nick, where you have fished? (just generally no honey spots) used to live right near hilliards and have fished some of the slippery rock. Never heard anything about flatheads.

5. WhiskerWacker

State:
    Pa
    I fish all over up that way, I catch channels and flats, just look for the big holes and deep water, believe it or not there in there. They are a few good ones mixed in with tons of 20-30" fish, My biggest flat out of the slippery rock is 41" i did'nt have a sclae with me at the time so I don't know what it weighed, pretty heavy though. The way I find the flats on that small water is "1. look for deep water 2. Throw a rapala around for a while, if nothing hits it within 100 or so casts, start fishing for flatheads:big_smile:. It seems that when they are there, they must eat everything around cause you can't catch a smallmouth to save your life. Another thing that I found is, since there are absolutley tons of 20-30" fish, using a large bait helps keep the little ones off of it, at least for a while. I have also caught small flatheads around McConnels mill and Kennedy mill too. I plan on fishing Kennedy Mills a little harder this year, there is some deep water up that way which I have'nt really fished all that much. There in there though! Hope this helps you in your quest. Good Luck

6. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Jason, have you ever fished at East Brady? Definately some big kats up there, some deep holes with structure too. Also look into Geneva Swamp. Don't know if you have a boat or if you could get in there for some bank fishing but I do know that when I go early season duck hunting up there we usually take a pole or 2 along for when the ducks quit flyin'. Geneva runs from Pymatuning east and i've only caught channels in it but ive heard of some big flatties comin out of the main channel that runs through the middle. We usually launch right near where I-79 crosses the swamp. Also look into French Creek in Erie Co. Some real good kats in there too, and when the kats won't cooperate the smallies and musky are usually eager. That's about all I know up north.

"Dude......where's your pole?"

7. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    OK brain fart. What I meant to say was Lake Wilhelm near I-79. We have launched there and caught channels up to 28". The west side of Wilhelm is a lot of swamp area. The east side is mostly open water. There's a couple pretty sharp bends in the Allegheny north of Emlenton near Rockland too, might be worth a shot.

"Dude......where's your pole?"

8. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA

9. WhiskerWacker

State:
    Pa
    I too never thought to fish the slippery rock for flats until I caught a 30" channel cat on a crawler. The next time I went to the same hole, I took some smaller gills with me, to my surprise I caught a flathead. Trust me the next trip I was prepared! And ever since I have done pretty good. Definatley a spot to try if the rivers are blown out. I have fished the lower redbank creek and up along the Allegehney, fishing is still hit or miss there for me, I think if I had more time to search for a honey hole things would be different, but who knows? Could be some real monsters up there with people keeping smaller cats for food, theres more food for the big cats, LOL:smile2: