What about Livewells??

Discussion in 'Boating' started by jerry9497, Oct 26, 2006.

1. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I am restoring my 89 party barge pontoon. Just wanted to hear your ideas and thoughts. What do you put both fatfish and baitfish in? livewell/tub/floor of boat? I have 24 feet of empty floor space. But looking at bass pro shop/overtons you have to pay $150+ for small livewell tank and pump. So I was thinking about useing a truck tool box for both and hook a pump up. But... thats $250+ I dont have much trouble out of my stryofoam minnow bucket. it's worked for years for that but I have all this space... what to put there? I know it will have some type of sink or washdown, wife says thats a must... so....livewell could prob fit in.
    Has anybody tried it with tool box? I know a livewell that big just wishful thinking but if I dont put something there...my wife will.

2. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Well this is my first attemp at a picture on here. sorry in advance if it dosent work. This is project boat.

Attached Files:

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    hey jerry it worked haha! good fishin and nice boat!

4. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Jerry
    You have that at the stage where anythings possible.......I would go down to the local feed and seed store and check out there watering tubs/troughs. They make great live wells, come in all shapes and sizes and some of the sturdier ones such as the oval galvanized ones can even support plywood lids that can be padded and used for seats. They also make the black plastic ones that are really tough too !!

Kenny Ryan

5. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    Jerry, Nice project boat! looks like alot of fun you willhave workin on it and fishin in it:big_smile: You will get some great ideas here on the BOC:big_smile:

6. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    Thanks foxhound, that would make a nice size sturdy tank. also thanks laidback. alot to read but many good ideas and options. I have the basic idea how they work now so this weekend I'll go shopping for the stuff.
    I let yall know what I come up with, don't really want to keep baitfish a long time, I camp alot so a weekend or so would last plenty. after fishing trip I freeze left over larger baitfish til next time when fishing alot. Nothing worse than getting my sorry but up early to fish and yesterdays bait died overnight. I say nothing worse... swiming in the river in spring or fall may top that. lol

7. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I would try making one out of an old cooler. Everyone has an old cooler lying around. Get one of the cooler pump/aeroator kits for under $50 and they work great.

8. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    if you are wanting to put catfish in it too i would suggest a horse trough. I have used one in a buddies pontoon during tournements and the fish stay alive fine. if just for bait i would use the cooler idea. Just make sure you get a good pump if you are trying to keep shad alive.

9. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I used a cattle tank. It's a 100 gal and a got about $150 in it with pumps nozzles and a pro-air system. The tank was only half of the total cost though.

Attached Files:

10. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    i just got started in fishing tournements and it seems everybody is using cattle troffs these days for a livewell

11. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I like that one katkaller. Would make fine table to... thats always uesful. fishing or not

12. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i would say that the cattle trough would be the best idea, the pontoon will have no problem holding the weight... but to fill it with ease you would have to put an aerator on the boat so that it is close to water and then run hose to the tank, and an overflow tube running to the water, and to empty it with ease, a bilge pump inside with tubing runing to the water... i would imagine that you are looking for a permanent install, but i could be wrong... and if you will be using shad, i would suggest putting some mesh screen around the bildge pump to keep shad scales out of the pump, then all you have to do is spray the mesh off instead of taking the pump apart... those are just the flip of a switch ideas, but the cheap way would be filling and draining it with a bucket, lots of work and extra time spent.

13. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    That is what I did! It works great. I have an 18 ft. v-hull.... helps take up some space. LOL!

14. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    I`m planning on making one with a cooler and use a bildge pump for an aerator.I dont see it costing more than $50.Also...its not a good idea to put you catch in your bait tank with your bait fish.Alot of times the bait will die quicker...