What about leader line?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA CATFISHING' started by JByrd, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Fate

Fate Active Member

State:
    Missouri (Poplar Bluff)
    Name:
    Fate Murray
    I use as a general rule for myself a mono leader half the lb'idge of my braid or mono main line whichever the case may be...

For instance on my three favorite rods I have Rod 1 has 80lb Sufix 832 braid mainline & 40lb Berkley leader, Rod 2 has 65lb Power Pro braid mainline & Berkely 30lb leader, and on rod 3 my lightest setup, I have 40lb Stren catfish mono mainline & 20lb stren catfish mono leader.

This seems to work well for me, YMMV

2. JByrd

JByrd Member

State:
    S.C.
    Name:
    Thomas D Price
    If your drag is 1/4 the line capacity then a 1/2 rated leader should be sufficient. I would think a heavier line would have more abrasion resistance as well. Didn't know there were so many leader lines out there.

3. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    That's what I do too Tom, only I put 3 to a bag; less trouble separating 'em.

4. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    No lol we just don't want to lose fish. If you need to get them away from structure quickly it's great

JByrd likes this.
  5. wadekaminski

wadekaminski Well-Known Member

State:
    MO - Missouri
    Name:
    Wade
    I use 80lb because during the summer when I'm back bouncing (drifting) I'm walking over structure... I might go an hour on a drift not knowing if I have put a nick in my leader. Couple that with the possibility of a 100lb bluecat in heavy current. The last thing i want to do is lose the fish of a lifetime because of tackle failure.

By the way a worm binder is a great way to store pre-tied rigs. I only put one rig per zip lock so I can grab one quickly and get my bait back in the water after getting hung up in a snag.

ramon06 likes this.
  6. MattTheFlatCatKid

MattTheFlatCatKid Active Member

State:
    Ohio
    Name:
    Matthew Moore
    Hey me too except I'm a little guy so I can stand up and walk in my boat! For the leaders I got a roll of zebco 59lb mono from w*lmart for under five bucks and I tie new leaders as I need them but usually put two new ones on a pole each time I set out to fish.

Fate, JByrd, twaskom and 1 other person like this.
  7. Rodbolt

Rodbolt Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Larry
  8. music4cash

music4cash Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Jeff
    I use different leader depending on what I'm doing. My main line is always power pro 40lb. braid. I usually use a fish finder rig. I like the seagar leader because it sinks and is more abrasion resistant (I think) than mono. I use either 30lb or 50lb leader. If there are lots of snags I use the 30lb because I don't want to lose a lot of main line when I have to break off on a snag. I also match the rating of my swivels to the leader. When snags are a concern I keep the leader shorter as well which also seems help keep from getting snagged. Any other time I use the heavier leader and more of it.

JByrd likes this.
  9. Andrewcats

Andrewcats Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Name:
    Andrew
    Mono is much better. I think the invisibility of Flouro is a gimmick. They are practically the same thing

10. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    This is the best vid I've found on that subject;

JByrd, Fate and music4cash like this.
  11. ASSASSIN

ASSASSIN New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Name:
    David
    I guess I'm the odd duck around here. I use 30 lb. Cajun Red as my main line and 65 lb. braided Spider Wire doubled as my leader. Most of my fish are in the 20, 30 and 40 pound range, and this line and leader system works very well for me.

12. bluewatersailor

bluewatersailor Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Ben Okopnik
    I have a pretty strong suspicion that the whole leader thing is blown WAY out of proportion by manufacturers, who just want to sell you plastic (PVDF) that normally sells for pennies a pound for more than $100/ounce (think about how much fluorocarbon you're buying, by weight, vs. the cost.) Leaders are important and useful, but they're not worth that kind of money.

As I see it, leader is used for several mostly unrelated, and in some ways opposed, things:
    • Abrasion resistance, which means both chafing on the rocks or other structure and protection from the fish's teeth if it's got any;
    • Shock absorption, which can mean quite a bit in fishing saltwater - when a fast-moving fish hits a bait at the end of 300' of trolled braid, you need it there. Also, when you get the fish to the boat, holding him short so you can gaff him doesn't work well with braid: it'll cut your hand clean off when the fish surges. Here, the leader is usually heavier than the main line; 200lb mono on 80lb braid would not be an unusual setup for grouper fishing. This also provides abrasion resistance - groupers live under rocks.
    • Invisibility, which... I'm actually very, very cynical about.
    I mean, we all have a GREAT BIG VISIBLE HOOK stuck in the bait. Fish can't avoid seeing it. We're also dragging weights, swivels, and possibly floats along with it - which fish certainly see. Heck, the weight will raise a cloud of mud when it's dragged along.

We blow all of that off with "yeah, but the fish aren't smart enough to figure it out!" - and I agree. I just think the leader needs to be included in that whole idea: the fish don't know what it is, just like with the hook. Also, pieces of chicken don't normally drag themselves along the bottom at a couple of miles an hour, so the whole "natural presentation" bit is also pretty smelly to me. So I don't buy the invisibility argument - which is part of that "natural presentation" thinking - at all.

This leaves the first two. If you're catfishing, you don't need shock absorption - I've never heard of a cat lighting up a piece of chicken at 40mph, or raising a rooster tail with a fishing line :) - but you do need abrasion resistance as well as a good grip on the end when you get him boatside. It would also be nice not to lose your terminal tackle, but... let's be honest, hooks don't cost that much - certainly not as much as fluoro does! - and what's REALLY expensive here is our fishing time. That's the stuff you really pay most of the money for - boat, fuel, ramp fees, getting up early in the morning - and every minute is precious. That's what you lose when you have to screw around with rerigging.

So, my real argument with the whole leader thing is that it's not about the leader. It's about a) reliably putting the fish in the boat once you've got it hooked, and b) saving rerigging time when you do get hung up. The leader is an important piece of that, but it's not the main thing.

For catfishing, this means using main line that it strong enough to haul a fish out of cover (by the way, folks: if you haven't tried tying a scale to your rod tip and lifting with all your strength, you really should. Might make you think differently about how strong your main line should be), a leader that gives you enough line strength and diameter to hold a fish next to the boat so you can lip him, and - something to think about - enough strength to either break your terminal tackle loose from a hangup, or to break, if that's what you prefer, when you put your maximum strength into it. Personally, I don't mind reeling up as short as possible and breaking the main line if the terminal won't come out; that's why I've got a whole bunch of ready-made end rigs set up. Break off, slip on a weight, tie on a swivel, snap on the rig, and I'm back fishing in under a minute.

So it's not so much about "leader"; it's about how you fish, and giving you the maximum fishing time possible.

But maybe us engineer types just like to overthink stuff. :)

13. Mosquito Creek Crawler

Mosquito Creek Crawler Member

State:
    Kansas
    Name:
    Larry
    Quick leader change is the main reason I use a mono leader.