What about fishing right above a low head dam

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Montgomery, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    i was looking at an area of river . right above a low head . i mean right at where it spills over . does anyone ever fish in these areas. it looks pretty deep . do catfish maybe wait intfront of that spill way. waiting on bait fish to get pushed into there faces ????

2. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I was wondering that my self. I know I always see people fish at the bottom of damns but not as many at the top

3. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    I have never fished a low head dam but if it has deeper water at or near the over-flow there should be fish there. PLEASE NOTE....that type of dam is very dangerous if you are in a boat. cast from the bank.

4. lock52_fisherman

lock52_fisherman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I work at a low rise dam on the lower Ohio and the catfishing is outstanding , but they are very very dangerous we lose about a boat a year. You should never get closer than 150 feet if you motor stalls (depending on what the dam is running) it will suck you under the dam. You don't have a chance after that. I never cast into the dam because you'll get hung up 85% of the time , but big blues and channels hang out all below the dam. You'll also find deep holes below the dam great for those big blues in the summer. Oh by the way the corps of engineers have a restricted area of 300 foot below the dam. You'll prob see people closer good luck be safe

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Mike it depends on the depth and if there is any cover pushed up aginst the back of the dam. Depth alone does not make a good flathead lair cause they like overhead cover during the day. If its 15 ft deep or more you have a shot if there is no cover. They will hug the wall in the deeper parts. If its only 5ft deep but has logs up aginst it you can bet that flats will be there. Best case is 15ft or more and wood cover. Then you can find a big one. I fish a river with 11 lowhead dams, 90% of which are shallow and devoid of cover on the back sides. The ones with some kind of wood and deeper than 5ft hold flatheads. You'll just have to fish them many times a season to see if they sometimes hold fish at times. Hope this helps.

6. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    you always seem to have good advice for me .i will remeber what you said and try to use it the best i can bro. thanks