What about circle hooks

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catchaser1, Jul 5, 2006.

1. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    what does everyone think about circle hooks? i tried them recently and had some pretty good luck, with the clicker off. what are yalls favorite methods?

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    They work for me. Theres a lot of discussion on this forum about circle hooks.

3. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I wouldnt use any other hooks for blues but for flatheads and channels I like kahle hooks.Yesterday at Lake Monticello I still had kahle hooks on when I got there had three pull downs, set the hook had the fish for a few seconds and the hook would come out.After the third time this happened I switched over to circle hooks and we didnt miss a fish for the rest of the day.

4. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I dont believe in letting the fish hook itself, i think that takes alot of fun out of fishing, i have to set the hook, and take my chances.....Thats hy its called fishing..You get some, you loose some, but at lest YOU caught the fish...Not the hook...Just my opinion

5. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    i noticed on another post you tried the catfish tournament at 12 mile, how was it?

6. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    ive been missing alot of fish lately. ive always used the clicker. they will hit hard and fast and not come back to it. tried it sun. night a few rods with clicker turned off and circle hooks did a little better.

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Myself I'm just learning how to use them. SO far I do like them,except when you get the point like I did this morning.That hurts.Do not I repeat DO NOT get them stuck in your finger .It hurts.I almost have to let the fish hook themselves anymore. Get my age reflexes slow down.miss to many fish.:smile2:

8. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    What size circle hooks do yall use?

9. Chris54WVa

Chris54WVa New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I wouldn't go without them.I think what I like most about them is the way they go straight to the corner of the mouth,then it's on.I have used them for several years now,and I must say,they do the job that you want them to do,catch fish.The name of the game.:cool2: :big_smile: Stephen,i use 4/0 to 7/0.They seem to keep the live bait alive longer for me.I use bluegill,or bream they call them there.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I use circle hooks drifting and bank fishing but I like to use Eagle Claw offset 3/0-7/0 when I am after the Bigger cats.

11. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I use almost all circle hooks. I almsot alwayts fish then with the reel engaged.

12. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Circle hooks are great!

13. Frostman

Frostman New Member

State:
    Kershaw, SC
    I love the way circle hooks almost always hook in the corner of the mouth, especially for catch and release fishing. I've started using really small (size 6) circle hooks for bream - much easier unhooking. It's also great for getting kids "hooked" on fishing. Young kids have difficulty setting the hook when they get a bite. Circle hooks play into a child's way of fishing - watching the cork go under, staring a few moments, then start cranking the reel.

14. BassCat1

BassCat1 New Member

State:
    SC
    I'm pretty much sold on circle hooks as well. My proof came in the form of a Gamkatsu size 6 circle hook on a Drop-Shot rig with 6# line fishing a live small minnow for Crappie in Keowee. Long story short.....3 hrs., 15 min. after the hit I land a 20lb. Blue. that circle hook was tightly fitted on the upper lip of the Blue.....PERFECT! The shape of the fish's rounded lip fit perfectly into the shape of the circle hook. If I'd have hooked that cat any other place, the fight might have lasted a minute if I was lucky. Yes....I have a witness!

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hook for me, in sizes 4/0-8/0 depending on the size of the bait I am throwing.

Circle hooks are the best option for catch and release.

Learn to use them correctly and they will be the best choice you will ever make fishing.

16. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use Eagle Claw Circle Sea #6's. They work great, but if you hand sharpen them you'll catch more fish.IMO

17. BassCat1

BassCat1 New Member

State:
    SC
    Well, I'm a Basser as well, and a neat trick I learned from a newspaper article is this....Tie a small loop knot to your circle hook. Then, simply thread the nose of a Super Fluke or Baby Fluke onto the hook. throw it out there amongst schoolies. The loop knot gives the bait more action and you really don't need to "set" the hook. Just pull back with some pressure & the fish is hooked.

18. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Mustad Demon Circle Hooks are by far the best I have ever used.