What about buying a boat at auction

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by my4x4awd, Jul 8, 2006.

1. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    They have a power sport auction here in tennesse every month. I was wondering what yall thought about buying a boat at one of these auctions. My buddy bought a new mower in perfecrt shape and I was thinking maybe the same for a boat or motor,

2. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    My experience with auctions has been varied, some very good deals, and some not so great. I bought a boat off e-bay that has been exactly as advertised and just what I was looking for, I couldn't find a used one around here and it gave me more options. I have bid on some stuff at auto auctions, but never enough to buy because I wanted to make some money, not use them.

Jim

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Much like everything, you can find some really good deals and some that are over-priced... The only "bad" thing about auction buying a boat is NOT being able to check out the motor before buying... Inspect it the best you can before buying...

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You better know what your doing before your stuck with something that could cost you more than double what you paid for it.

5. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I traded boats so I could have a bigger boat and got stuck in the deal. I got a nice fiberglass boat but found some weak spots in the floor. The wood is rotten and it will cost me more than the boat is worth to have it repaired. I can not do it myself , in too bad of health, so will have to take the loss and try again with a different boat. If you are going to go with an older boat I would recommend going aluminum and you will run into less problems.

6. moore42420

moore42420 New Member

State:
    Henderson, KY
    I would go early and inspect the boat thourghly and see if the boat is in good shape. Also ask them If they have a hose and muffler so the boat could be started. Not sure if they would let you but heck, I would not buy a car without starting it first. That, my opinion though

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have only bought two boats, one brand new and one used, and my rule for buying a used boat is I have to be able to take it out on the water with the owner.

8. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I agree 100%

I've never bought a used boat only bought new ones. If I ever buy a used one I would only buy it if I could take it out on the water.

9. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I dont think that it would be a good idea. There could be small pin hole leaks or the engine might per like a kitten but could have problems with power which you will never know until you get it on the water. Like most motors they run at the very best right out of the box or right before they blow. Also there are warranties or guarantees at auctions.

10. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Be aware that a lot of those powersport auctions have buyer's premiums that you have to pay in addition to your bid if you win.

11. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Several good points from yall. I dont mind doing some work, but sure would want to get stuck with a bad motor.

12. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I'd go look around well before the sale started and if I found something I liked I'd ask about the Previous owner? Find out if there is any factory warranty with the purchase? Was the boat repossessed or confiscated? Ultimately the choice would be yours, good or bad. I'd still have to go to the sale JMO.
    Don