What about an ABU 5000cs

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by fisheater, Aug 10, 2007.

1. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I found an old one I had last night and I took it apart and gresed it and cleaned it all up. Its ready for use but what do yall think about this size reel.

2. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    They're great reels. They won't hold near as much line as a 6500 or 7000, but they're still great reels. If you're not having to cast very far, or fishing from a boat, they will work fine. I can't remember if that model has a clicker or not(most of the 5000 size reels don't), but as long as you keep an eye on it or hold on to it, it will be ok for cats.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have a Abu 5000 One Series reel that I use for bass fishing its a good reel. U can use it for channel catfishing.

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Spool that bad boy with either 20lb mono or 30lb braid and tighten the drag down pretty tight and you'll be able to land some cats larger than you might think on that reel. I have one of those as well. I removed the level wind on the reel however, I don't know if I would do that again. Seems to cast better though. I just use 20lb mono and have caught some nice flatheads on it. We'll see how it holds up the the blues this winter.

5. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I will put some line on it and put it in the arsenal Thanks guys.

6. mcbluegill

mcbluegill New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have a Abu 5000 myself in a combo. Never used it. Tell me how it works out. I might spool it myself.

7. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    just hope and pray the next fish you get hold of is not THE ONE cuz you just might get spooled. a 5000 just won't hold enough line. especially 20 test. they are bass reels.

8. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    :big_smile: pull anchor and start running!

9. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    HAHAHA! WITH WAY DO YOU RUN???

10. fisheater

fisheater New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I spooled it up with 17# cajun red line and used it with no problems except put to much line on and had the worst ever birdnest. So I spent about an hour trying to get back to fishing. So MCbluegill I say put it in the arsenal.

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I used these reels for years bass fishing. Have landed some 25 pound stripers on them an for the most part think there desent reels. I've always had trouble replaceing the " pau's" in them. Thats prolly not correct spelling but it makes the level wind move.