What a way to start off

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by TIM HAGAN, Mar 14, 2007.

1. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I take the guys that was out fort washington last week in the snow and cold winds out today Shawn and his dad. Just getting into catfish and only knowing what he has read from the BOC along with my site he has may a few trips to the potomac looking for big cats. Has landed a 30 lber but was have trouble finding them and bait as well. My trip with him was to help him get a handle on the whats and where of the river and try to get him on the right track. The ride down and most of the trip was full of Q & A this is always the fun part for me. Then it was off on the water finding all the bait we would need at Blue plains and head into some of my go to holes to show him how I mark & set up on fish. They are looking to try and fish in my tournament trail and guys if today was a tournament they would have been hard to beat.
    It was one ofthem days where everything would go right the fish was everywhere and the wind stayed away for most of the day. The air temps was low 50'swhen we started at 6am and 80 when we came off at 2;30.
    seems every one of the 5 holes we would fish on this day would bring fish over 20 lbs. I showed him how I fished drop offs,channels egdes, flats and the deepers holes. How to fish the different tides and just about every think he could think of we talked about.
    Or bait today was cut shad we never fished in more than 25 feet and most of the bigger fish would come from LESS THAN 20 FEET OF WATER. Now with the tournament right around the corner guys it looks to be a great one if the bite stays like it was today. It was on both outgoing and incoming tide and even slack tide put big fish in the boat on this day. In all 20 fish over 20 lbs that was a great day but with 11 over 20 and 6 in the 30's 39,38,36,34,32,and 31 that would be a out standing trip any time. but they biggest 3 fish that would have been weighed in at the tournament was to be 55,48 and 44 that 147 lbs for 3 fish that would be something hard to beat. Shawn has been reading our post and I hope he will now join up here and let everybody know what he thinks of the information he has pick up on the greats web site going. Shawn it was fun and the had a great time watch you guys cat that little kitty :lol:

Attached Files:

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    three more pic's

Attached Files:

3. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    SOUNDS LIKE AN AWSOME TRIP TIM CONGRATS.

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    three more from today

Attached Files:

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    here or some more

Attached Files:

6. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Sounds like a hell'uv a day - Me and Nathan haven't had one even close to that since we started - I'm looking at my calendar for a date to book a Hagan Fishing School trip.

7. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Looks like yall had one heck of a good time....congrats on the catches. enjoyed lookin at the pix, thanks for postin them

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Thanks Tawn now that funny I like that is not a guide service is a fishing school. CATFISH 101 get signed up today :0a24:

9. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Just AWESOME Tim. That's about the only word that can get close to describing it. Tawn and I have had some good days. 5 fish over 30lb, but we can definitely learn from you. Thankfully you help us, otherwise we would still be fishing 3ft of water and catching 1lb fish. I'm looking forward to catfish school, hopefully in April. Also looks good that we will be able to fish the tournament on the 31st. Talk to you later.

10. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    Tim
    What a bunch of hogs. That is an incredible day on the water. I think I am going to make my first trip down there this weekend to start learning the river. I saw that you mentioned that there was a tournament coming up soon. Is it this weekend? I wouldn't want to be down there running around and screwing things up if you guys are fishin a tournament.
    Also, I was wondering do you typically drift for the Cats, anchor up, or a combination depending on the conditions. I have always bank fished for cats.
    Thanks

11. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I will be out there this weekend look me up and I will show you some spots to get started in. 301-418-3967

12. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Great fish brother, congrats on the catches. Thanks for sharing.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I read the post and looked at the pics with envy. Great day on the water. Thanks for sharing. Appreciated.:cool2: :smile2:

14. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Wow what a great day of fishing! Hope it keepes up for you throughout the year.Congrats

15. krabaholic

krabaholic New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks Tim I am keeping an eye on the weather to see whether I am going on Saturday or Sunday but I will definitely be out there one of those days. I have a 16ftSC Polarkraft.

16. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Hey I just got off the phone with shane and he was telling me about his trip on sunday. The first time they have been back out after I took them and showed them the river. They moved there boat around somewhat like my set up and tried their luck. Said they found about a doz bait and hit some of the same holes we did that day. he said they had 2 in the 40's 30 in the 30's and some 20's as well. In all he had 15 fish with the smallest one at 10 lbs. His internet is down but he told me he will be signing on and posting some pic's asap. Good to see someone catching on to the blues so i will give them a A+ in catfish 101 class :big_smile:

17. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Tim,

Without providing specifics, did they fish below the WW bridge?

18. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Tom They fish a hole just off fox ferry. the hole at jones point , one I showed them in smoots bay and ended up at fort washington, Cut Shad and low water he said they didn't fish more then 18 feet all day.

19. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
  20. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Not long ago, I purchased a GMCO map of the Potomac. It provides some pretty decent details of the river. Until I take the DC safety class, I will have to stay below the WW bridge, but that is OK, since two of the locations you provided are below it.