What a striper!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by Cattledogz, May 4, 2007.

1. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    I just have to show off this striper for my nephew-in-law. This young man loves to fish but rarely gets to go as he works two jobs nearly all the time and usually works 6 or 7 days a week all year long.

Well one day in April his primary boss from his main job was taking the day off and going striper fishing at one of his favorite spots, Watts Barr Dam in TN and he took Chris, my nephew with him.

They left NC in the wee hours if the morning and got up there without a problem, got the boat launched, etc. Fished all day and Chris was catching fingerling sized fish here and there. His boss, Paul was catching a decent fish now and then.

Not too long before time to wrap it up and head back to the ramp to load up and start the long drive back to NC Chris' rod doubled over. He wasn't sure what he had on. He kept saying it felt like a whale, then a freight train. LOL

Keep in mind his PB fish to date had been just shy of 5-1/2 pounds of any kind of fish.

After fighting the battle of his fishing life time he finally got this fish up to the boat and they managed to net it and get it into the boat.

They then got the weight on it and were able to get this good picture of it.

The fish weighed 55 pounds!

He was one excited young man!!! Needless to say he can't wait to go back again.

Attached Files:

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    WOW! Nice Striper! Congrats to him, that truly is a great fish, big Striper's are an awesome fight, my biggest was 27 pounds and I swear I thought I had like a 100+ pound Blue Cat, so I know one that big has to be really incredible.

3. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Now that is a trophy striper and I dont care where ya caught it salt or fresh that is just a real cow. My biggest was 54lb and this one looks way bigger you could have told me 60 and I wouldnt have doubted it. Beautiful fish. I want to shake that mans hand. Congrats Im at a loss for words

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Great story and pic. thanks for sharing Barb!!:smile2:

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I'm with Katmaster Jr. As hard as a 20 lb striper fights. Man I bet one like that is a hand full.
    Pete

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

GOLLY!!!! That is one heck of a striper, I've never even SEEN one that big before. Thanks for the story and the pic Barb, and PLEASE tell Chris that we send our heartiest congratulations. WOW!!!

7. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "WoW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :eek:oooh:
    Chris is the man for that one! "Congratulation"!

I'll bet that he couldn't even lift up his arms over his head the next morning after landing that one.
    LoL:happy:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship: :0a23:
    Bert & Phil

8. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    A five-pound striper puts up quite a fight. I can only imagine what one eleven times bigger felt like. Please pass my congratulations.

-- Rich

9. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    I have fished that area a number of times, but I have NEVER seen a striper like that! Great fish, and a wonderful story. Congrats to Chris and to you! Thanks!

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Now thats what I call a hog!! Way to go!!

11. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's one humongous fish!! Congrats to Chris and you both! Man I can just imagine the fun that was had in that battle. Aching arms and back would be well worth it to land that thing! Tell him I said "Way to Go!"--------Pat:big_smile:

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    yes.....yes.....yes

13. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    That is one hell of a striper! I tip my hat to em! Biggest I ever caught was 33lbs and that kicked my butt. LOL!

14. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    GOOOOOOH!!!!!!! That's is a stinkin' monster!!!! Holy shinoly! I bet that thing pulled like a small boat. I watched a guy catch a 33 pounder below th dam at Texoma one time, and it beat him up and down the bank for 30+ minutes. I bet that 55 pounder was a real brute to try to get in.

Tell him that I'm totally impressed. That thing is a freakin' monster.

15. crazfish

crazfish New Member

State:
    arkansas
    THAT IS A HECK OF A STRIPER! CONGRATS AND GREAT STORY!!!

16. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    All I can say is wow, ive never seen one that big.

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats to Chris on a good size stripers, looks like it weights 50 lbs. :lol:

18. nemad9

nemad9 New Member

State:
    wv
    sounds like a nice fish

19. taborcat

taborcat New Member

State:
    mississippi
    i enjoyed your story. last year i started fishing the ms river for stripers and have cought a few around 5 to 8lbs. these fish are great fighters and a lot of fun. i can only imagine the fight. good fishing

20. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Now that's what am talking about....That is a huge striper:big_smile: