What a morning

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by cook, Oct 3, 2005.

1. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Some of you know I live in Plattsburg,work in St.Joe-bout 45 mile drive.
    Had to leave at 7 Sun.,but after the heavy rains I delayed a few min. til it was a little lighter outside.
    Lots of standing water on the road.As I reched the n. end of Gower,I started seeing shingles,branches,downed signs,and finally a whole pole building down.About a 100 yard wide path of major damage.Later I found out I missed a tornado/micro-burst/straight line wind...by about 2 minutes.

The next 5 miles the road(169 hwy)got progressively worse,lots of farm ponds overflowing onto the road.Stopped once to remove 2 railroad ties(heavy!!)that washed onto the road.
    Popped over a hill and saw a river of water rushing across the hwy.Just like you see on T.V.,a car tried to cross it and stalled out.As I stopped,a few more cars arrived,everyone whipping out their cell phones.Ended up having to turn around and backtrack quite a few miles,and make my way to work in a series of long gravel country roads.

Took me almost 2 hours to get to work.Some areas looked like New Orleans,but on the way home all the water had receeded and everyone was out with their chainsaws cleaning up.

One weird thing on the way home.I pass at least 20 cattle farms,if not more,on my drive.The ponds were back in their banks on the way home,and on almost every farm the cows were standing in the pond.Of course I see them do this all the time,but have never seen it on every farm all at the same time.Strange.

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Jon, That was quite a storm, glad you missed the microburst. We had storms all night down here, with maybe 3" of rain, but a lot of your area got over 12" :eek:

Have you noticed that a lot of our floods come this time of year? For KC, the 77 and 98 floods were in late Sep / early Oct. Just seems to be a time that we don't normally get a lot of rain, but occasionally get a big dump. We were out to dinner during the 98 rains, and it took us over an hour to get home, about a mile away.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    I was here for the 98.I remember a small car washed off the road near Pigeon Hill shooting range(county landfill)They found the car the next morning,but the driver was never recovered.I believe it was right after a Chiefs game??It also flooded a cornfield by my house on a bend of the little platte river.That was some of the easiest duck hunting I ever had till it froze over.

Saw this morning that we made the nation news on FOX,"For the love of GOD,wheres Geraldo to save us...!!"
    :):):)

4. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Cook,

I've very glad to hear that you missed the micro-burst. Seems God was watching out for you. It is awesome how, something within us, some little voice, will tell us to wait. Or we will have something go wrong, to keep us out of danger.

All of the Cattle on All of the farms standing in the ponds is strange, not sure what caused that.

5. cook

cook New Member

State:
    And a little common sense dosen't hurt either :rolleyes:

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    "I believe it was right after a Chiefs game??"

That's the one. The rains came during the game, the runnoff in the stands at Arrowhead was amazing.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    On the plus side it looks like they will be releasing water from Smithville and Perry if they haven't started already.

8. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Duh! How else would they go about cleaning their shorts? :p

9. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Thats udderly crazy :)What about the ones you get skirt steaks from? :p