What a Fathers day on CJ Brown

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Doctor, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    After getting bombed on the GMR on Saturday I decided to get up early 5:30am and hit CJ Brown before the water skiers and waverunners hit the lake.

To my surprize at 6am the two mentioned above were already on the lake tearing up the water.

Pitched the cast net against the breaker wall and loaded up with Shad and headed for the center of the lake scanned the creek channel and nothing was there, the wind had just started picking up so I headed to the North end of the lake, normally when the wind picks up and really rocks the boat it pushes the Shad back to the North end and the Cats follow them, today was no exception.

Shad were thick on the North end in about 6 foot of water so I put fresh cut shad suspended under a very large bobber that I make for this kind of fishing At first I was picking up small cats 1-2# each but as the wind really started rocking the lake the big boys moved in ended up with 27 Channel Cats with 18 of them 10# or larger and the biggest tipped the scales at 13#.

I had a blast it was like a fresh water Jaws movie as those big channels would drop that big bobber under then they would run past the boat with the bobber just under the surface of the water, that was just so much fun watching them take off with that, I finally ran out of Shad so packed it up a little after 12 and headed home, as the kids were bringing the old Man a Fathers day gift and oh what a gift, kids bought me one of those 12 volt power pack units for the truck/boat now I will always have power.

Here's some pictures of the fish, they don't like the Boga grip too well, one picture is the 13# and 12# in the 40 gallon livewell of my boat, plus my bobber set-up and what it loks like on the water.........Doc

2. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Had to resize the pictures

Attached Files:

3. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    More pictures of shots taken today..........Doc

Attached Files:

4. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Sounds like they were definantly biting at CJ alot better than they were biting at the GMR last night, we only managed 1 channel..But congrats on your catches today!!

5. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    all i can say is WOW.... I normally only catch 1-2 cats at the CJ

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice fish Doc, congrats on the catches. Glad ya found em again today. CJ has been producing lately for ya.

7. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    RiverKing,

Was that you in the center of the GMR last night around 8:30 I was in a Black and Tan Smokercraft boat and we were headed for the dock................Doc

8. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Way to go Doc!! Thanks for sharing those pics.

9. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    nice fish Doc,congrats on all those channels

10. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    congrats on a fine day of fishing. having fun is what its all about.

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    good job Doc. way to go

12. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    Doc nice catching.That makes for a fun morning and good start to the day.How big do channels get at this lake. Might have to bring the boys up that way some day.

13. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Randy,

My largest has been a 22 pound Channel and a 20 pound Blue, the spring time usually March or April is when I get the bigger ones but they dropped the lake to build a new ramp this year and i think it really messed up the spring fishing and moved it to later in the year, if you have lots of wind on CJ you can get those bigger channels, very few people target them on this lake, Walleye is what most people fish for...................Doc

14. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Yeah Doc that was me, I was probably looking frustrated because i couldnt hardly get a bite

15. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    All right Doc, way to go. I had to spend Father's Day at work...again.:sad2:

16. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    RiverKing,

Yep same here we wasted a lot of Shad on backstrokers...............Doc

17. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    Doc, Do you ever have any tournys on this lake? Seems like it would have some nice fish brought to the scales.

18. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Randy,

Nope there has never been a tournament for catfish on this lake real surprised that one of the marinas doesn't sponser something like that but there is a big pay*lake real close by,maybe that is why, it's a good fertile lake with Shad as the main forage, has Walleye, Catfish all three species, Perch, White Bass, Largemouth Bass and some of the biggest Smallmouths I have ever seen,sumo Gills and Crappies very little bottom cover on the lake has numerous humps and a creek channel that runs from the North up to the dam, I fish mainly the North end, in the winter I drift fish the main channel which lays in 30 foot of water.............Doc

19. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    Doc, Thanks for the info.Maybe someone will put one together there someday.Are you fishing the Madison Classic this weekend.If so we`ll see you`s down there.

20. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    No I can't make it, I'm on call for the shop and the other guys are on vacation, only 5 engineers running our plant and three are on vacation so I'm stuck for this weekend, good luck to you.........Doc