What A Drag

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by jnordyke, Aug 28, 2009.

1. jnordyke

jnordyke Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    Someday (soon!) I'm going to finally tie into a fish larger than will fit into a frying pan. I rod fish with some braid and with some mono, some baitcasters and some spinning rods.

I'll bet, if I check right now, the drag on everything is set to "come to me or break the line, sucka" from the last time I pulled loose from a snag. With the variables of braid or mono, baitcaster or spinning, what's a good rule of thumb for where to have drag initially set when anticipating a 25lb+ fish?

2. 1 catbuster

1 catbuster New Member

State:
    Union Mo
    I do not set my drag anticipating any size fish I set it to the line me I'm not into the 80 pound Brade i use 20 pound mono to set my drag i grab the line at the rod tip and pull it down if i can get the drag to slip a bit I'm happy with that. some guys say set to half the line strength

3. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew

1/3 of your lightest line of the rig. e.g. 30lb line on everything then drag at 10lbs. or 80lb braid main line & 30lb mono leader then still set at 10lbs of drag.

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I set my drags so they line is hard to pull out. If a fish of any size grabs the bait and goes he can pull drag out if he wants to.

5. moriver

moriver New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Same for me. I started with the formula method but as much as a guy gets broke off fishing cover I found a new method that works. I tie my new rig on and put the hook on something in the boat(dont bend the tip of the hook" and give it a pull. You can just feel if you are to tight or loose after a while. As time goes on and you lean your tackle you just get a feel for how tight the drag wheel feels.

6. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Like Crazy said, Tight enough for a good hook set,but loose enough a good fish can bend the rod over but still take line!!!!
    :wink:

7. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have never caught anything over 20lbs,and I use 30lb test,so if your in my situation I wouldn't worry about drag! :smile2:

8. rjb

rjb New Member

State:
    mo
    the proper way to set drag is to get a 10# weight. tie it on the end of your line from the ground lift the rod up to 90 degrees and loosen grag until the 10# weight slowly lowers to ground. this also means if you are anticipating big fish you must have a rod that can handle this.

9. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I fish mostly open water so I keep mine prity loose on 30lb Big game, im not trying to pull a fish out of cover,,,I can fight a fish as long as it takes but once the line breaks its over...:eek:oooh:
    Puddle

10. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have allways been taught to tune your drag to approx. half the pound test of the line your using. in other words, if you are using 30lb test you will want it at 15lbs of drag.

11. tac eulb

tac eulb Member

State:
    missouri
    If you use a baitcaster, set the drag so that if you get bent over the fish will take line and not break the line. Thumb the spool for the hook set and you can adjust the drag accordingly.

12. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    What he said.:big_smile:

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    What they said. I tighten my drag so it will come out, but is hard to do so. When I occasionally hook into a monster and he starts peeling drag, I immediately start tightening up on my star drag so the fish can't reach cover. With my 100# Power Pro and 60# fluorocarbon leaders, fish DON'T break my line or leaders. Only when the snags come into play do I lose one. Boy theres nothing like hearing the zeet, zeet, zeet, of a fish pulling drag with the rod in the rodholder!! Talk about adrenalin!

Bill in SC

14. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I set my drags to where when my surf rods get 1/4 bent the dragg slips. I have forgot a time or to after a snagg to loosen up I cost a good friend a good fish that way. I use 20 to 25 lb line and set it about @ 1/3 of line streanth just in case a drag has a little lockits when a fish makes a first hard runn. I then adjust the drag a lil during the fight depends on the fish. 40 to 50 lb cats on 10lb line before lol it can be done.