What a difference a night makes.........

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by KansasKatter, Aug 8, 2006.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Well last night was a little more like what I would expect with the moon as big as it is. My brother and I took our boys back to the river where we caught all the channel cat the night before and had a pretty rough night. My nephew did catch a 7# channel cat, and my brother caught a tiny flathead, the rest were just gar, gar, and more gar.

It never ceases to amaze me how the fish can bite like crazy one night, and you not even get a shake the next!

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That is funny isn't it, maybe that why we chase them....LOL... One of two things. They are stupid because they should show up where they ate yesterday or they are really smart and don't go back to the same place because of something in the food...LOL

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Yep sometimes thats how it works. I find it especially true when the water level is fluctuating.

4. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yep! Thats the way it goes. One night you hit gold the nest mud. But even if I don't catch anything I still love the peace and quiet it's so relaxing. As far as Gar are concerned I just hate those things!!pk powell

5. Rajun_Cajun

Rajun_Cajun New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    ya know they have that saying, "you win some and you lose some" and i think fishing has a really big part on that saying :lol: -rajun

6. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I know just what you mean Jeff. It seems like the more sure I am that I'm going to tear em' up, the more likely I am to get skunked. I wonder sometimes how flatheads manage to grow as large as they do, being as tempermental as they are.

7. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Calvin,

That is probably the main discussion my brother and I have every time we fish. We were talking last night about how you would think they would have to eat every day, just like we do, to survive, including winter.

Since you were so close to Garland, I respect your opinion as much as anyone's, including my Dad. What is your opinion on the moon size, and its effect on fishing, mainly on catfishing? I know my Dad always felt you were waisting your time and bait if the moon was much over half. Until Sunday night, I did too. My brother had to practically drag my butt out there, and on the way out, the moon came over the horizon, and I wanted to turn around and go home. Turns out, it was one of the most productive nights we have had in a while, probably this year.

How do you feel about the moon?

8. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    My 2 cents on the moon:

While growing up I ran alot of limb line, trot lines, and hoop nets with my great grandfather. This was how he supported his family while the crops were not producing. He always told me to put away all fishing when the moon was bigger than 3/4. He said the gar and turtles would rob you blind. He also told me that fish can be caught if you find a place where there were few gar and turtles, but that is tough to do. So to this day, I take his advice wheter I am running lines for fishing with my pole. If I want to fish with a full moon, I will do it during the daylight and focus on Channels.

Just my two cents, thanks for listening.

Muddy

9. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Jerry,

That is almost word for word what my father taught me, and it has ALWAYS rang true. I have been sitting on the bank of the river before just catching them left and right, then all of a sudden they stop like someone flipped a switch, pack up and head for the truck, and there the moon is, just coming up over the trees.

Sunday was the first night I have ever caught fish with nearly a full moon. We did catch 2 or 3 gar also. Monday night we only caught one channel, and one small flathead, and several gar.

10. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jeff, as a true disciple of Garland and Claude, you probably know my feelings about the full moon. Obviously, I pretty much think fishing is a waste of time with the moon full. For years I kept a pretty detailed notebook log of my fishing trips. I recorded moon phase, wind, temperature, and weather (rain, snow, ect.) and bait. Most of my fishing was for flatheads but of course I took a lot of channels in the process. It has been my experience that the closer you get to the full moon the fewer flatheads you catch. I've never caught a big flathead from three days before a full moon to three days after the full moon. I've also found that the actual dark of the moon isn't quite as productive as a few days either side of it. I've also noticed that when I'm running my trapline in the winter or running coons with hounds the same thing applies. I don't know why. I just know its true. One time in the early 70's Garland, Claude and I caught a whole boatload of channel cats on the big nut on the full moon night. But it was raining and the river was coming up and it was early May too. We didn't get a single flathead.
    I don't think the moon bothers bluecats as much as it does flatheads but I think it has some effect on them too.

11. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Calvin,I'm becoming a firm believer in what you say about the full moon and Fishing.
    Jerald and me have both noticed it quite a bit lately. Especially when shore fishng. We'll be catching fish, soon as that old moon comes over the trees and shines on the water, bam, not even bites, I'm talking Blues and Channels here.
    When drifting, we'll usually catch a couple of either species, but not like we'd been doing at dusk and before the moonshine on the water.

12. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I agree the moon affects fishing. Just like the tides, then moon pulls the fish to the other side of the water , away from us. all we need to do is fish from the far side of the water. which ever side you are on will be the wrong one.

13. bigmike

bigmike New Member

State:
    Kankakee,Illinois
    I think the hunt for them is what makes it interesting and frustratin all in the same that's why I love fishin. They keep movin and we keep guessin some nights we guess better than others

14. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Clavin,

My brother and I have talked for years about keeping such a log, but just have never done it. Something like that would be priceless information, coming from someone like yourself, I would give my bottom dollar for a peek at that! :big_smile:

15. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I ran across a few of my notebooks a while back. I ought to see if I can find them and share some of the information. I think the one I was looking at was from the early 90's and my trotline log from El Dorado. But I also have them for Muddy Creek and the Big and Little Walnuts.
    When they killed the fish in Muddy Creek I restocked it with Flatheads from the Walnut below ElDorado Lake. I kept pretty detailed records on not only what I caught but what I turned loose back into Muddy Creek.

16. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I was there when the idiot drained Muddy Creek. I guess I should not call him idiot, he is a pretty decent guy, but he sure f ed up big time there. My brother and I tried to save about 10 flatheads that were probably over 50# each, to no avail, they were to far gone by the time we could help them. It did not hurt the creek any, and that is where I did all my fishing primarily. We used to fish above the lake quite a bit too, along the twin bridges, but have not been up that way for years. My dad and I caught the best stringer of channel cat I have ever caught up there one night as the creek was coming up, we had like 20 or 25 in less than 2 hours. They were all NICE too, average was probably around 8# or so,with a couple around 12 or 15#. You could only fish with one pole, no way you could fish with two, they were just hitting to fast.

There are some nice flatheads back in Muddy Creek, probably thanks to you. I would REALLY like to see your logs and study them if you run across them.

17. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'm not going to be as generous as you Jeff. What I think of that repulsive old b-----d can't be printed in this forum. He's dead and I don't mourn him. That's about the nicest thing I can say about him. I put a little over three hundred flatheads back into Muddy Creek that were over thirty pounds. Most ranged from thirty to 40 but three were over 65 and there were 15-20 over 50. I also put a 26 pound channel cat in there. I haven't wet a hook in the lake since they killed them. My son still goes but for some reason I just can't make myself fish there again. I've thought about setting some lines just to see what I'd catch. Jo Powell and I have talked about it but just haven't done it. I need to do it before he sells the place. Whoever buys it probably won't let me in there.

18. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Calvin,

Man, what I wish I could do is get about 10 people and go in and buy something like Muddy Creek Lake. I know my Dad we be in on it, probably Randy Vaughn, myself, if you got about 10 people, you could make it affordable, and all agree on limiting access to a select few to keep it from getting over run.

I wish I could get a group together like that and buy a nice watershed lake somewhere!

19. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I hear you about going together. I think Joe is asking 1.6 million for it. He isn't in any hurry to sell and I'm sure he'll get it eventually. Its a great place to hunt a fish for sure. I still hunt and trap over there and probably should fish again. There was a time when I believe it was the best flathead lake in the state. When they killed the fish they killed a state record flathead, state record bass, and crappie and channel cats that were brushing the record. My blood still boils when I think about it. I found out how corrupt our state government is when that happened. The only one honest enough to help us was Bill Graves. Hayden and the rest just gave it lip service.

20. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Calvin,

What exactly happened out there? I don't think I know the whole story any more. The story I heard is nothing close to what you are describing.