What A Day! Chickamauga Cats & Bass, 5-17-2008

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by rsimms, May 18, 2008.

1. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What an awesome day of fishing. Seems like I always have good luck when outdoor writers come to visit. Larry Self, a good friend and well-known outdoor writer from Greeneville, Tenn. came to visit Saturday. I talked my good friend, Eric Maurer, into sharing the waters of Chickamauga Lake with us. Eric holds more TWRA Tennesse Angler Recognition Certificates than anyone in the state (150-plus).... and several IGFA line-class records.

[​IMG]

We hit the water at sunrise and of course Eric's expertise with a cast net got us plenty of bait, although I brought a supply of chicken breast.

[​IMG]

The bite was hot right off the bat, and I must say me and my chicken breast had Eric and Larry worried for a while.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But Eric of course got his groove on....

[​IMG]

And it was actually one of those days when the fishing-catching was pretty evenly distributed. Although Larry and I cheated and caught a few extra white bass for fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We put 16 cats in the boat in about 3 hours, biggest 14# with a few lost fish, and even one broken leader. That's when we decided to drown a few of Eric's shad in search of bass. They were there. I got to claim big fish although Eric had a much bigger one on that jumped and came aloose at the boat.

[​IMG]

We departed the Chickamauga Lake about 12:30... Larry and I loaded up my boat and went looking for some catfish in the Chickamauga Tailwaters.

[​IMG]

We didn't catch big numbers, but we caught some big fish... Larry got pretty excited when we put a 19-pounder in the boat. On spinning tackle and 8-pound test that was great fun.

[​IMG]

Next drift... Larry reeled in an 18-pound fish. More fun. After a while longer I got "thumped" good. Many, many, many minutes later Larry got the grabbers on a 38-pound beast. That's the biggest cat I've ever caught on light tackle (8# test). It was a battle of wills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With that we decided to call it a day... and what a great day it was. Thanks to Larry for sharing his great pictures! He's good. Watch for Eric on a magazine rack near you. Life really is good and gettin' better every day.

2. bdporch

bdporch New Member

State:
    tennessee
    All i can say is Dayum!! Thats a really nice trp you had, a little jealous now lol. those days make up for 364 not so good days. Man great fish.

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Thanks for another great report!

4. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Sounds like a great day for a visitor Richard. Glad you all did great and had a good time. Thanks for sharing the post brother.