What a day at "You Know Where"

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Aug 26, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Had a really good day Below Mel Price yesterday fishing alone. It has become my favorite place to go as of late.:big_smile:

I suppose all good fish stories should start with the one that got away.:wink: I am now the proud owner of one Broken Driftmaster (emphasis added).:angry: Luckily I was standing next to the rod rack when the freight train hit. This rod was set up straight down under the boat. That pole was slammed and the driftmaster broke off and I was left with my pole dangling straight down in the water. Luckily, (if you can call it that), my 50 lb leader was broken right in the middle or I would have lost it all. It all happened in a split second, I was left in shambles mumbling about the obviously record fish I had missed! LOL:smile2::smile2::smile2: Note to Darryl1: Loosen up on drag a little bit.

Anyway, caught a 6, 12, 15, 17, 18, 19, 24, and an ALMOST NEW PB 55 pounder.

Met a new BOCCER, Dan (ferrari79) and his dad. Dan came on board and took the pics.

Everyone knows I always include the CPR pic and again I have some but.........

Don't crucify me here folks, we tried everything to revive the big one and she just wasn't swimming right. Let her go once and she just kind of stayed on top not going anywhere, we retrieved her and burped her some more, then spent at least the next half hour swishing her back and forth through the water to get some oxygen to her gills. I don't know what went wrong, I really don't.

I felt bad for that fish but I finally gave up and stuck her in the livewell.

So a bad ending to a great day. She was the last fish of the day.

So...... share in my joy or slaughter me for losing one, I already know this is a tough crowd.

Oh....... Asian carp fillets seemed best, but when I ran out, they hit on cut shad.

Attached Files:

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Nice day on the water! Tough deal losing the big girl, but it happens. Not like you didn't do your best to turn it back live and well. Better to keep it and use it than let whatever it was that broke your rod holder off wind up chowing down on it after it croaked and sank:wink:

3. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Nice job it happens

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Congratulations Darryl, sounds like another great trip. How deep of water was you fishing? How do you burp your fish? Sounds like you done all you knew to do. Sometimes you just have to keep them no matter what you do to revive them. Nothing to feel bad about, thats just part of it sometimes.

5. grinnel

grinnel New Member

State:
    Pool 25, Mississippi MO
    Man shes a hog! Nice fish!

Grinnel

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    We would never rag on someone who tries to CPR, even when it doesn't work. Sometimes that happens. I too am confused on the burping thing. Are the holes around there really deep enough to worry about such?

7. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Nice fish, reps on the attempted CPR. It happens, and you tried your best. I'm surprised there's not a pic of you trying to give it mouth to gill.

But about that broken driftmaster -- did it break the holder itself, or did it break off from your rack?

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Hey Darryl,
    These things happen to the best of us at times, don't beat yourself up over it. You did all you could but, sometimes thats the way it goes.

PS. Are you sure those were "asian carp" you were using :wink:, LMAO!!!! J/K

9. bonapetit2

bonapetit2 New Member

State:
    illinois
    That's a beautiful fish...great job! Thanks for the story as well.

10. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Nice fish Darryl. I look forward to seeing your post, because they always include huge fish. Congrats.:0a23:

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thats one nice fish. Sorry she couldn't of made it but guess it was just her time to go. Don't beat your self over the head over it.At least you tried everything you could.Sometimes you just can't save them all.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Sounds like a great day. Sometimes the catch & release thing doesn't work despite our best efforts. As long as the meat didn't go to waste, it's not the end of the world..

As for the Driftmasters, if you're using the 3/8" "Lil Pro" variety, you need to step it up a notch and get the 1/2" "Pro" series. I can't believe you actually broke the rod holder in the first place, but I guarantee the 1/2" ones won't break on you. Where did it break off at? Maybe post some photos?

I'd also send the broken rod holder back to the folks at Driftmaster and let them know what happened - they may be intersted in looking it over for defects...

13. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    That is a hawg:big_smile::big_smile:

14. whiskers9512

whiskers9512 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Congrats on the awsome night on the river!!:big_smile:

15. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Nice fish Darryl, way to go. You caught 8 nice fish and it does happen for what ever reason where one won’t revive, you did what you could. Since that was your last fish of the day I would assume it hit on the shad. Soon when the water starts cooling the blues will be favoring more of the oily baits. Congratulations again on such an awesome fish.

16. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Your killin' em Darryl. It seems you have their number and you have transitioned to the Bluecats nicely. Congrats on another pig.

I went last night from about midnight to 4 with no success. That river was rockin' and rollin' and I had trouble positioning the boat and what not. Only one slam.

17. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    You didnt intentionaly kill it Darryl. Some things just cant be controlled. I am sure you tried all you could.

18. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Now we know where the fishtruck went when it left Tennessee, LOL!!!

19. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    Another great day Darryl,and your intention was admirable.

20. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Well, I can tell you it wasn't broken at the bullet-proof rod rack. :wink:

It seems like the weld broke where the cradle sets on the stem. It's still covered in the rubber coating but it flops around like a broken appendage.

I can't imagine how it broke but that hit was HARD!!!! Plus, the line was positioned straight down and the drag locked down all the way.

Yes, I am interested in what driftmaster has to say, though it's not worth the money to send off for a replacement.

Also, I am using the 3/8" lil' pro (or whatever). The 1/2" is looking better but I already own 16 of these things. :crazy: Can't change em now but you bet I am gonna worry, or at least start fishing them a bit different, i.e. loose drags etc.........