What a bad weekend for fishing.

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by flathunter, May 11, 2008.

1. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My river is way up, and usually the slack water spots are full of shad and cats...Not this weekend, I think alot has to do with the cool weather and low barametric pressure...In most years I can slay the cats in May, but it is usually 70-80 degrees, not 50-60 degrees.

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    jack, it was crap for me last night also... one 9 pound channel on cutbait, nothing on livebait! i was fishing some good area as well... just seemed like they weren't active! Isn't Flathead fishing fun? lol...rollo

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Jack I think you are right about the barometer .... which I use to guage a lot of my fishing ... it was as low this morning as I have seen it since hurricane days in Florida ... at 29.29 .... that is nasty low ........ Garry- :cool2:

4. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    The barometer here in Dayton hit 29.24 on two different occasions today. That is the lowest I can ever remember seeing it. It's interesting Garry that you said you haven't seen it this low since Florida hurricanes. This storm is kind of spinning like a hurricane.

At midnight the barometer was 29.76. That is already pretty low. By 9am it was 29.24. That is an impressive drop in 9 hours. If anyone caught a fish during that period you are a pro.

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I caught a couple channels yeasterday, But Like I said usually during high water in may you can catch a couple dozen..I certainly hope it warms up soon.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    wasnt much better friday night, not even a nibble, not to mention it was hard to find fish period, ended up cold and wet, and with sore kidneys from the river beating us to death while on the move....Man oh man I hope this weather pattern lifts quick, I want my winter fishing back!:angry:

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i like the highwater also in the warm water months... i think the barometer had a major affect on them, they weren't biting at all...:angry: rollo

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    You are so right Phil ... I commented this morning to several people that this storm looked just like a mini hurricane ... according to one weather map I looked at a while ago ... it showed the isobars really close together on the back side of this storm ... if that doesn't change it will probably get very windy this evening .... I am no certified meterologist, but when you spend much time on the water in Florida, you had better try and be one step ahead of the weatherman ...... Garry- :cool2:

9. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    i went out tonight,after work.got two shad outta the creek,then hit the lake.stayed for about an hour,didn't think i would do any good,but,i had to try.by this time,i have caught quite a few fish,and put some channels in the freezer,but its not happening this year so far.

to be honest,i rarely ever watch the barometer.cause when i get time to go,i go.i don't care if its too high and breaking the guage,or it might not register on the guage,i am going to the lake,lol

10. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I fished for channels on the GMR from 11-2 pm on Sat and figured Id really get into them with the high water, I managed only 3 hits, landed 2 channels, frozen shad. The barometer explains it. I figured I just stunk as a fishermen..:roll_eyes:

Salmonid

11. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    i agree i went to a city pond here in town one small 1 lb channel in 3 hours nothing else rick it blew i used chicken livers nothing

12. newell94

newell94 New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    I feel you on this one. If I get time I go. According to the weather channel it doesn't look much better for this week.