What .17 caliber rifle to get?

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by TeamCatHazzard, Apr 12, 2006.

1. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am looking to get a .17 cal rifle within the next few months and was wondering what everyone has for one and if you like it or what you would recommend. I really dont wanna spend a lot on it because I just want it to mess around with so im looking around a couple hundred bucks for the gun. Also what is the difference between the .17 Hmr and .17 mach2? Just curious any help would be appreciated!

2. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    The hmr starts out at about 2500fps whereas the mach 2 sits around 2100fps. I'll leave to rest to someone who actually has one, because I've no first-hand experience.

3. MilwaukeeCatHunter

MilwaukeeCatHunter New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Check out Savage Arms/Stevens. IMHO, their rifles are pretty good for the money. They also have package deals where you can get the rifle and scope. My brother in law has a 17 HMR Savage (not sure of model number) and it is a fun, reliable rifle.

I think the difference between the HMR and the Mach 2 is about the same difference between a 22 magnum and a 22 LR. (in very general terms) The HMR goes farther and shoots flatter. The Mach 2 is not intended for long distance shooting. As far as popularity, I think the HMR is a top seller.

4. onlyone

onlyone New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    Well to start the .17 HMR is rated at 2550 fps while the HM2 is around 2100. I have a Marlin 917V in 17 HMR and I love it. I gave $250 for it and it is by far the most accurate gun I've ever shot-- about 1/2" groups at 75 yards. I have a BSA 3-10x44 on it and I like that too. I havent shot any other 17's but I think Savage makes pretty much the same as marlin.

5. citori59

citori59 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Go with the HMR and go with a Marlin. There are more expensive rimfires but, in my humble opinion, nothing beats the Marlin's acurracy and value.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The Henry Golden Boy Is the direction I'm going. Pricey but it will maintain or exceed its value through the years and be worth handing down through the generations.

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The HMR is the 22 mag necked to 17 and the MACH 2 is the 22 long rifle case necked down.I like the Ruger 77/22 rifle and would go with the HMR.I have to agree however with the Marlin comments.Marlins over the years have proven to be some of the most accurate 22 caliber rifles made.That Micro Groove barrel is superb.I had one in 22 magnum that we used to sit on the range with and shoot 22 empties tied to a string.When we got bored with that we shot the string.It had a 4 power Redfield scope on it.This was at 25 meters and we got quite good cutting that string.Marlins are excellent value for the money.:)

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    To go a little further on what the others said, Marlin is a good buy for the money, as is Savage. The key to accuracy is a good trigger. Check the triggers on any of them you might be interested in. The .17HMR is a very accurate round, and a rough or heavy trigger will keep you from getting the most out of the bullet. I'm not certain if the savage accu-trigger is available in HMR, but if it is, that may be worth buying a Savage.
    There are other brands out there that are great too, including Ruger. I happen to have the Remington 597 semi-auto myself. It all depends on what suits you.

9. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the info guys I got my .17 HMR this weekend. I ended up gettin a Ruger 77/17 with the low glare stainless and the gray laminate stock. I put a Leupold VX-2 4x12 40mmAO on it. Im gettin ready to order a 1.5 lb trigger for it and a sunshade for the scope. I shot 50 rounds through it at the range this weekend and was puttin 3 shot groups in my thumbnail at 100 yards. Its a sweet shootin gun and will only get better with the lighter trigger. Thanks for all your info!

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    You'll Be Glad You Got That One, I Got The Same One As A Birthday Present For My Buddy A Couple Of Years Ago, What a Tack Driver.

Have Fun, Elliot

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    GOOD choice.I love that little rifle.Be carefull because a 1.5lb trigger is very light.Which one are you getting.The very best triggers today are by Jewel but would cost more than the rifle.:lol:

12. jholman

jholman New Member

State:
    Columbus Mississippi
    I also have the same rifle with 6x24 power scope. If you can see it you can hit it. That is a very nice rifle.

13. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    If I were going to get a .17cal I'd get the HMR