Whale tails

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by chambers bd, Feb 10, 2009.

1. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
  2. flathead100

flathead100 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    How much of a fuel difference are you seeing?

Thanks
    Flathead100

3. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Greatly decrease in porpoising yawing, greater thrust and control, greater top end, and the fuel economy went up by 10 to 15%!

Better hole shot, planes faster and will maintain it at lower rpm, its no drill!

its little pricey! 120.00, but I like it. It works wonders on turns!

4. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Last time out i curised 5 hours on 4 1/2 gallons

boat 1860 cc grizzly 90 h/p prop 23 ss double cupped

5. flathead100

flathead100 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gonna have to look into one.

Thanks
    Flathead100

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I had one on a 120hp Johnson and had the same postive results. I will never own another boat without one.

7. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I put one on my 15ft V with a 20hp Merc and it handles so much better, I did see again of about 1-2 MPH with it also. Even if the gas gain and MPH gain was not there I would still use it due to the handling gains. Now it is so much smoother to turn and handle in the chop.

8. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Yea, that will help and you will see a difference in places, your missing, mine really does well overall, I just wanted to hear how other folks felt! Thanks

9. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have no regrets about putting one on my Johnson 40 mounted on a fully floored and rigged Lowe 1652. I cant think of any aspect of performance and handling that it didnt compliment. Well worth the money.

10. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I have a 25 horse on a 16' jon and there was a big difference when I put them on my motor..my motor is a 4 strok but I noticed the fuel is less than when I had my 9.9 on my 16'..gets up quick and I can go a slower speeds on top of the water..I love it.

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I have an 18' Cajun bass boat with 150 yammy on it. Sorta chime walks if not trimmed just right, i wonder if this will help? You can jerk the wheel and make it stop chiming but thats sorta scary in itself.:crazy:

12. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    It woked for me!

13. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    If your any thing like me your allways trying to up your performance in your boat, you will notice a difference with this!

14. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    that sounds good to me our new boat we are building has one on it and I was wondering if they were worth haveing. cant wait to try it. Thankk you

15. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I installed one and absolutely love it!!!!

16. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    i put one on my johnson 50 on a 16 ft polar kraft and gained 2-3 mph and it handles great
    chip

17. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Question: If hydrofoils do sooooo much to improve the overall performance and handling of the boat, why don't the motor manufacturers just go ahead and design the motors with them?

I've got to do something with my lil' boat but I think I'm going the trim tab route instead of whale tail.

Google: hydrofoil vs trim tabs

18. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

Yea, I have seen a few that had them but its was spec app, I asked and the mercury guys told me the only one that would not void the warranty was a no drill!

I have real good service with mine and they make some tabs to add if you want to correct streering over torq issues, have not done that one, as of yet!

Most of the trim tabs, I have seen, is or has been on more larger size boats! Elec or hydro type!

Im sure it would work!

Its kinda the same thing ,I think!

19. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    From what I've read I think I prefer fixed trim tabs for my boat over a whale tail; tried to provide a photo, it didn't attach.

20. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky