Whale tail question

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by SeedTick, Jul 9, 2006.

1. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Brethren, I've got a 25 Nissan tiller motor (I bought boat motor and trailer used this year) and it came with a whale tail or similar on it. My question is will that whale tail make it harder to steer at wot? It is easily turned except when running fast. I thought I would ask before I took it off to see what ya'll thought. I could live with it not getting on plane as quick if it was easier to steer. Thanks.

ST

2. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I had one a 115 Johnson and a 16 ft Skeeter years ago, helped that boat a bunch, never noticed it affecting the steering any, drove without one for a year before I put it on. What I liked about it was I could stay on plane at much lower speeds, plus it would get on the pad lots faster. Ended up going to a larger prop for more top end and could still get out of the hole. Not that much trouble to take it off and put back on though if you want to try it without.

3. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Sam, I'm gonna take it off unless somebody knows it won't help. I've run several motors but I ain't never seen one that was as hard to turn as this one and this is the only one I've run with one of those on it. You are right to it only has 4 bolts holding it on. Thanks for your reply.

ST

4. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    The whale tail will effect steering with a tliller. More resistance to water when turning. It should turn a lot easier without it but my not get on plane as fast.

5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Bro. That's what I want to hear. Thanks

ST

6. navigator

navigator New Member

State:
    NC- Brunswick County
    Mine had some optional tabs to help it steer, I caught them on sale.