Whadda ya think?!?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Gabowman, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    Gonna try a new spot whenever these thunderstorms pass by and the weather gets right again. Primarily the lake is deep water.....60-80+ feet deep. There is a point that reaches way out into the lake (50-75 yards or better) running anywhere from 9 to 15 feet deep, dropping off to 60' of water on both sides. The water also drops drastically on the end of this point. There doesnt seem to be any cover at all running along this flattened ridge (probably 50 yards wide) but I still though about trying to set up on top of the ridge fishing the edge of the drop off. For you more experienced catfishermen, am I wasting time fishing where there's no cover or does this seem practical for catching channels and blues? In other places in the lake there are tree shelters that still has lots of underwater tree stumps that I've been fishing edges of but was thinking about looking elsewhere. BTW, I'll be fishing late afternoon/night time after the boat traffic has left the lake. Should I be looking for deeper water to fish (such as 20 foot ledges dropping off to deeper water) or would you guys think the cats would venture onto this hump looking for food at nite? Thanks.

2. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Yes sir, hit that spot where the 15ft. drops off to the deep water, early morning..about dusk, either should just about guarantee success. I'd fish below the drop off during the day in the deeper water working my way to the deepest part. A good lively ole chub or fresh cut bait should produce the desired response. Toss a blue gill in to complete the menu. Sounds like a great place to fish..I love the hunt especially when you know it's only a matter of finding them.
    Don

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Sound good to me, right on the edge of the channel as it starts to get dark.

Aaron

TA2D

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    That whole point would be considered structure in any mans book. there is a lot of ambush points all along a ridge like that. Go get'um buddy!!

5. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Oh yeah thats my favorite situation to fish, blues love vertical ledges.My theory is that they can coral baitfish up and force them up against the drop and pick em off easier.Just make sure you put baits from top to bottom of the drop, most of the time the aggressive ones will be toward the upper part of the drop but you want baits at the bottom just in case.What lake are you fishin in georgia?

6. grunt111

grunt111 New Member

State:
    ga
    hey any fellers fishin the chattahoochee river? i'm in columbus area and want to catch my first flat head !:angry:

7. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    We went for a couple hours tonight and tried that ledge. I had 2 good runs but no hook set. They really had the bait clickers humming too. I know the problem though. Size 2/0 with cutbait isnt large enough. The cut herin was too thick for the hook leaving not too much hook sticking out. I should know, but since I aint sure would somebody post a picture of a kayle hook?

We did wind up with a couple of dink catfish and a couple white bass. We called it a nite after only a couple of hours. Lightning was flashing at a distance around and I didnt want to get possibly caught in a thunderstorm. I will be trying that spot again though.

8. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    We were fishing near the mouth of Beaverdam Cr. on Lake Russell. I dont know how big of fish is in that lake as of yet, but from jug fishing I've caught fish averaging 3+ lbs down on that end of the lake. Alot of the channel cats went 3-5 lbs. and better and we always bait jugs with cut herrin.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

[​IMG] this is a kahle hook.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Butch, that sounds like a good place to target. If it was me, I would anchor up on that shallow hump point and cast some rods into shallow water near the shore, say 1-3 feet. Fan some more rods out along the edges of that hump.

It varies from trip to trip where the fish will be feeding. Tatersalad and I fish a similar point, and on the last trip he was catching all the fish off the side of the point near the drop and tonight I was catching the fish in 1-2 feet of water near the bank.

Remember too, those cats seem to come through in packs. So, if you are not getting hit right away, give it 30-45 minutes to see how it cycles. Not all points are hot every night, and the times vary. Right at dark is usually a good time, but if they are not biting and you move on, then you may want to revisit that spot later.

11. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    Man stay on that spot there has to be some big ones there. Good luck and let us know when you catch the big one.