WHAAAKC! WHAAAP! THUUUMP! That Kayak!

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by jeremiad, May 14, 2008.

1. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Dumb, dumb, dumb...

I took my first day off work of the year for a fishing day. Couldn't wait...it was going to be beautiful and warm--a nice day for fishing, if not for catching them.

I loaded the kayak on Thursday evening, pulling the kayak around and setting it on the driveway by the garage door. My daughter had the cat in the kayak, and of course, the cat darts across my path and she starts to go after him.

I'm watching her more than paying attention as I backed out. As you could guess...SCRAAAPE! I scrape the front fender along the edge of the garage door. Accckkk! I was heartbroken as I watched my trade-in value plummet.

But my daughter was safe, and I should have known better.

After significant elbow grease, I did get the white paint scrubbed off of the fender, and despite some paint crackling on the plastic bumper, so far so good. Polishing compound should fix this, I hope.

So...

I go fishing and, as I expected, it was absolutely a beautiful day, but nothing was biting--too much wind, too many duffers like me on the water...

Who cares? It was a great day to practice paddling into the wind, downwind, crosswind...what a workout. I was tired!

I load the kayak and head home. I arrive at the house, and as usual, I timed my entrance into the garage so that I slide in just as the door rises just high enough.

It has always worked this way.

Wait.

I have a kayak on the roof!

Now, the kayak normally clears the garage door by an inch. Yep, I can load the kayak on the vehicle in the garage the night before and back out with the boat loaded early the next morning. Cool!

But you can't time your entrance into the garage, Dummy.

WHAAAACK!

I stop, throw the SUV into reverse, but too late. WHAAAAP, THUUUMP, THUUUMP!

The kayak comes off the roof and slaps onto the pavement. AAARGH!

I crawl out of the SUV. A rack bar is gone. A good dent is above the rear door where the washer nozzle got whacked. Somehow the nozzle is still aligned, but the two-inch crease was deep and permanent.

Forget the car. What about the kayak? I see the cross bar on the garage floor. the tie downs are still around the kayak. Amazingly, beside a couple of fairly shallow gouges, and a fairly heavy rub on the skeg, the kayak is in good shape. In fact, I could hardly believe that there was no more damage than this.

As I assessed the damage, I could only be very thankful. The tie downs are heavy-duty ratchet types with hooks that fit the bars. Because of this, as I hit the bottom of the garage door with the front of the boat, the rack bar let go enough to release the hooks. This prevented further damage to the top of the car. The sliding of the cargo bar "eased" the boat to the ground, at least easier than it could have been. No doubt the hull would have cracked in a forced free-fall.

I was able to reconnect the cross bar firmly; in fact, there was no damage to the cargo bars, minimal damage to the kayak, no noticeable damage to the garage door, and only a single dent on the top of the car.

I may be dumb, but I am blessed! :big_smile:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    You ain't alone. LOL! Pulled the boat outa the driveway a couple years back without raisein the motor. Took a nice chunk of prop off on the cement. LOL! My pain was only a $120 quick fix. LOL!

Ya gotta stop takein days off. It ain't worth it sometimes.:wink:

3. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Rough day at the office huh. My brother had a day like that,a little less eventful. He put his kayak on the ground behind his Tahoe and forgot to load it. Backed allthe way over it. Have to hand it to Perception, the thing poped right back out.

4. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You are not alone. I tried to pull my pickup in the garage with an aluminum canoe on the ladder racks one time. Didn't work out well. Worst part was I was trying to sneak in from a too late fishing trip. Needless to say driving a canoe into the header over the garage door and it dropping on the driveway at 3:00am wasn't too sneaky.

I swear no alcohol was involved, just a long day and brain fade.

5. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    DANG I THOUGHT WITH THE INTRODUCTION YOU HAD TICKED OFF A BIG FLATHEAD. I HAD ONE JUMP THE MIDDLE SEAT IN MY BOAT MONDAY. HE DIDN'T KNOW I ONLY WANTED A PIC.

6. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Thats one of the good things about being in the Plastic Navy. A yak can take a lot of abuse and not be affected.

7. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I feel your pain. I've done similar things. That's why I can't own nice things.

When I was a senior in high school, I was running a little late for school, and I tried to back the truck out of the garage... before I opened the overhead door. Dad was standing right there. Boy howdy, did that mess up my day.

8. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    on days like that its best to just go sit in the house and stay away from flameables and sharp edges:smile2:. we've all had them days where nothing goes right and they sure aint fun