Wet the Line?

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by rks1949, Jul 16, 2009.

1. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm new to using braided line (power pro) and was told to let all the line out,and get it wet "before" using it for fishing. I was also told it would "dig" into the line on the spool if I didn't do this first. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Ron

2. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Ron, sorry I can't help you with the braid question as I don't use it, but you'll find many on here that can and will. This is one great site for information and these guys know their tried and true stuff. Stay safe and good fishing!!!:wink:

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I've heard to wet the line for easier casting, but not sure it applies to braid.

4. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    the tighter you can get brad spooled he better and yes many people also wetting the line as its spooled!! either spool and use your boat to let your line out or tie a big float and chunk it out in the river with no hook in current ant the reistance of the big float will give you good pressure to reel against!! jeff williams at team catfish has some vieos where he talks about spooling braid!! search his videos on his site @ www.teamcatfish.com

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    It's 6 one way and 6 the other. I have done both with the same results. The most important thing is get the line on the spool as tight as you can. Some say use backing I don't and it works just fine.

6. rks1949

rks1949 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks,guy's!:big_smile: I'll let it drift out in the morning before I go fishing at the river. Ron

7. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    Welcome to the boc. It really dont matter if you wet the line before spooling it up. but it does help your casting distance. You can always just dip your reel in the lake or river for a moment.

8. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    braided line if not spooled tightly will dig into your reel, or if fishing with it and it somehow gets wound on loosely which sometimes does happen will do the same thing, in this instance if you are spooled loosely and are out in a boat let your weight drop down and free spool for a while till most of your line besides like the last 2 or 3 wraps come off the reel and get wet. then will you're still trollin or floating reel you line back up and it will spool back on TIGHT!

9. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    What i do is tie around my basket ball hoop and walk across the stree and by the time i get past the parking and side walk im almost all the way through the backing and reel it tight keep a lot of tention on it!!!!!!!!!!!!other wise it will dig in and you just wasted all the money you spent on it!!

10. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    When I put new braid on a reel I get a bucket of water and put the new spool of line in the bucket. I let it soak good for a few minutes then I take the tag end and tie it on the reel. I grab the line and hold on tight while spooling the line on the reel. With it wet you can hold onto the line really tight and it not burn you.
    I use tidewater reels and they hold a lot of line and I have not had any problems with my braided line since I started doing this.

11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i just spool my line on and go fishing but when i get ready for my first cast i wet my line to keep from getting blisters on my thumb.i use casting reels ,penn 500 and abu 7000,with the spool tention set completely off so i have to use my thumb to keep from back lashing.without wetting the line power pro gets your thumb hot enough to burn in seconds.i dont dip my whole reel and rod handle in the water tho i carry bottled water and just wet the spool.

12. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <Some say use backing I don't and it works just fine.>

DON'T take the above advise! USE backing. It's clearly stated in the Power Pro instructions.

Bill in SC

13. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I know people that use backing and people who don't. As long as it's tight, they don't have any issues.

When monofilament first became popular, you were supposed to use dacron or nylon backing on the reel with it, to absorb the pressure that mono put on the reel spool when it contracted back to it's "normal" state when drying out.

You never see that in writing anywhere now? I haven't bought a Penn reel since 1995, but the instructions in my 320GTi and the Mag Tuned 10 that I had clearly stated to use backing with mono line to avoid damaging the reel. I never did though. I don't know any body who does now-a-days either.