wet rock or diamond stone

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by catoon, Mar 1, 2009.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i was wondering which 1 was the best in your book and why. i have some older knives and the wet rocks work better.i bought a diamond stone and it seems to work better on my newer knives.any ideas?

2. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Richard, after you have a good edge on your knives, if you have a bench grinder, try a hard felt wheel with jewelers rouge, it will put an extreme polished edge on your knives sharper than a straight razor. Be very careful to dip your knife blade in water every few seconds as the wheel will over heat your edge quickly. Another note, DO NOT use the wheel with the cutting edge of your knife turned into the rotation of the wheel as it will dig in and hurt you.

I am partial to the diamond sharpeners.

3. NJ CLAD

NJ CLAD New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Diamonds work faster. I use them on all my knives. Just my $.02!

4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I've tried em both, a diamond sharpener seems to make em sharp fast, but not such a smooth edge. My water stones get em nice and sharp, but then I finish em off with 7000 grit and I can shave with em. I knew a guy who used 8000 grit on his wood chisels, they were like mirrors.

5. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    I like using a wet stone myself. Never tried one of them diamond sharpeners before. Might have to give one a try.

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I use natural whet stones, man made stones, diamond, and ceramics.. they all do a good, but, different job..
    I will use any of them to put a fresh edge on a knife that needs to continue on a job or chore, If I am wanting to really sharpen a knife, I have more confidence in my Natural whetstones, I use a coarse stone to develop the angle of the edge, then go right to a fine stone to ,, sharpen it,, after I'm satisfied it's where I want it, I strop it on a rouge treated piece of leather mounted on a flat board. When that's done, the edge is sharper than a store bought Razor..
    Regarding the different experience you're having, I'm not sure, It could be different types of steel, and or heat treatment.. hard to say..There is a difference between the feel with carbon steel vs stainless.. either can be had in superior alloys to provide unbelievable edge retention qualities. If quality steels,,, and superior heat treatment are employed in the construction of a blade, unbelievable sharpness can be attained and enjoyed for either type,,
    Knowing the type of steel, grind type, or heat treatment technique, or manufacturer would be helpful to try and give a better answer to your question.

7. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    what method do yall use in sharpening your blade. as for me i pull back on the blade at a 45 degree angle

8. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    When I want a knife real sharp I will use a rough side whet rock then a smooth side then an Arkansas white rock then the backside of a leather belt

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I lay the blade on the stone, and lift the back of the blade,,about the thickness of the blade,, then try and cut a slice off the stone, keeping the stone perpendicular to the cutting edge all the way to the tip,, gotta turn the blade as you get near the tip.

10. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I use different stones for different blades also I use a polishing wheel.

I do it the same way as above.

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'll be the odd duck quacking....I use stones, but not water or oil, to shape the angle, then finish with a diamond hone.
    I think using oil or water on a stone just gets it full of crud, and keeps it from working well.

12. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    Iput my blade about 20 deg sharpin it theddn take it tok my shoe for the finish work. Does a pretty gokod job of shartpening..:::::Thasnks lkSam

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yea, Boots, I don't use oil or water either,,:wink:

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use either water or oil,Depending on the stone. I do however have one coarse stone that I don't normally use anything on ,this is the one I use to re-define the edge on badly worn blades. I feel most anyone can sharpen a knife reasonably well,with practice. To keep it keen I feel is an art,one that is beginning to be lost,as we arent teaching our kids to do it.

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i use the diamond stones because they are quick, and they can take a beating in my hunting pack. when we are filleting a bunch of fish or butchering, it doesn't take 20 seconds to put a new edge on. the edge isn't as smooth as that with a real stone, but works fine for cutting meat. if it shaves my arm, i am good to go!

16. ol'catmandoo

ol'catmandoo New Member

State:
    S.E IA
    I like diamond but will use both:wink:

17. Fl.catman

Fl.catman New Member

State:
    Fl
    I use wet stone. To bring up a edge between sharpening I use a F Dick steel. Out in the field using my steel it only takes a second or two to bring a edge back razor sharp. I use to run the kitchen in a large steak house I hand cut every steak that went thou the place. My steel is one thing I don't think I could do without.

18. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Guess im the odd man here I like the ceramic rod the best...couple of quick runs on the rod and she is sharp...and trust me I have the cuts to prove it...:embarassed:
    Puddle

19. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    If you don't know the grit of the stones, kind of a pointless conversation? I've played a lot with sandpaper glued to something flat. Something like 300 grit, 600, 1200 and then a strop. There's actually a plan there.

Comparing some random stone to another random stone over the internet is pointless.

Some stones you can't use dry. It'll wreck them. You gotta know your stone. Waterstones need water, diamond stones need something too. Sandpaper just gets replaced.

I use a strop with green rouge. I do it by hand. I know from a bit of knife making that power buffers are really dangerous and a power strop could be too. It isn't the thing for someone unfamiliar to just leap into. Having a sharp knife thrown across the room or at yourself is nothing to sneeze at.