Westport, KY

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by cubacroc, Jun 19, 2009.

1. cubacroc

cubacroc Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Members of the Harrods Creek Field and Stream Club will be fishing the Westport, KY area of the Ohio River this weekend.
    I will check the river and bank conditions tonight.
    Reply or PM for info if you want to join us.

2. bigjimandthetwins

bigjimandthetwins New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Been wanting to check it out up there, not to far from the house. Is it a tourney or a get together? Gimme some details. Sounds great!

3. cubacroc

cubacroc Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    The Catfish Derby is not so much of a Tournament anymore as it is an excuse to get out to the river for a weekend of camping, camp cooking, story telling, meeting friends and club members that you might not have seen since last Catfish Derby!
    Disclosure Required:
    Some catfish fishing has been known to occur during these events, and we do not hold it against the members that want to slip away and fish awhile, just so long as it does not interfere with the good times!
    The Derby used to be an intense weekend of competition with entry fees, prizes and fish till ya drop in any weather attitude. The membership has aged and mellowed. We all appreciate the opportunity to attend another Catfish Derby. Beats the alternative. We usually raise a toast for members that have passed.
    SO if you are looking for a hardcore fishing competition this is not your event. If you want to fish and visit with the good ol boys then you are welcome.
    We start on Friday evening and break camp on Sunday after a big lunch.
    You will be welcome to attend ! Drop by and fish as long as you want.
    Sorry for the late notice.
    The high water and weather kept us from making the final call on this weekend or rescheduling for July. I did not post until today due to the uncertanity.
    We may have bank fishing access if the mud is not bad. The dock may also be available if the water has not taken it. Everything looked good when we prepared the camp two weeks ago.
    PM if you think this might be an event that you would like to attend and I will send directions.
    We camp about a half mile upriver from the Westport boat ramp.
    Charles

4. Big Game

Big Game New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Like BigJim said this sounds pretty fun to me also.
    Are most of you guys gonna be fishing in boats or from whats left of the bank??

5. cubacroc

cubacroc Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    "Are most of you guys gonna be fishing in boats or from whats left of the bank?? "

Yes. Some fish from boats and some from the bank.
    I will post regarding the conditions when I get back in the morning.

6. cubacroc

cubacroc Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Derby conditions report:
    Attendence - 15 or more Creekers were already camped out and 5 or 10 more are expected to stop by or join the group on Saturday.
    Dinner - Cajun crawfish, sausage, corn on the cob, onion, cabbage and ??? what else was in the pot when Vern and I arrived. Vern sampled his first mud bug! mmmmmmmmm good! The weather today and the threat of storms may have kept enough of the Creekers from attending Friday night that we had the unusual opportunity for a late camp dinner. Approximately 50 + quarts of the left over dinner was poured into a cooler and will become an Étouffée. Not sure what that is but its gonna be good if it is made from what we had left over!
    Saturday dinner menu - Smoked pork loin, deep fried catfish and onion rings. Don't count on arriving at 11:30 PM and finding a pot full of mud bugs and other tasty items like Vern and I did last night.
    Driveway - good shape. Passable with car and 2 wd.
    Camp condition - The camp was in much better shape than I expected after the heavy rains this week. The lower level next to the river is dry enough for camping and a few spots are open as of midnight. Plenty of space is available for camping and trailers at the top of the hill.
    River bank - 3 or 4 feet of beach was available Friday morning. The water was rising slowly all day and the beach is under water along most of the river front by 11:00 PM. Some bank access is still available and the Creekers agreed that they will cut some new access paths to the water if additional folks show up.We may also try the boat ramp area at Westport. Lots of open frontage but the river is fairly shallow there so bring some gear that can reach out to the drop off.
    Water conditions - The extra couple of feet of water means that the fish may be up closer to shore cruising and more accessable. The flats near shore are usually shallow and require some casting distance to get out to the first big drop. Extra water may also eleminate the need to cast out to the drop off and avoid some of the snags.
    Water conditions - difficult to judge in the dark but it does appear to be fishable and the current is not running hard. I prefer a little current. Seems that I always catch more when the river is running a bit. Vern ( vlparrish ) pronunced it "Very Fishable"
    Creekers will provide information on some of our best catfish spots and you will have no trouble finding a "guide" if you have space available in your boat.
    Dock - two large cruisers are tied up on the upstream side - residence for the folks that prefer AC while they "camp" and rough it with their fellow Creekers. The center of the dock has a little water covering it. If the water comes up another foot it will be under.
    Location - try and Google this address for the property next door to the entrance for our camp area.
    5901 W. Hwy 524 Westport KY 40077.
    The driveway for the camp is unmarked and next to the 5 acres For Sale sign for the 5901 property. The driveway is difficult to see so watch closely and enter the one BEFORE the drive with the For Sale sign. Follow the gravel / grass trail all the way to the the curve where it turns towards the river. Do not drive down the hill. Park here and walk down to the camp area. If ya bring women folk or small children you should at least give a shout and warn the Creekers that you are enternig the area.
    Warning - no running water, no electric hook up and only one port -a -can
    Adult Beverages - Vintage bourbon or personal selection single barrel bourbon tasting begins about 8 PM on Saturday evening. The lineup for this years tasting has not been determined. I will look thru the bunker and select 5 or 6 on Saturday afternoon. Beer is acceptable. If you must bring other alcohol beverages please keep them discretely concealed!
    Cigars - The lineup for this years tasting has not been determined yet. I will look thru the bunker and prepare a selection from the various countries.

The membership was polled and we estimate that this may be the 35th HCF&S Club Catfish Derby. The Harrods Creek Field and Stream Club was founded about 1935.

7. cubacroc

cubacroc Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Correction on the location

Google indicates a location a few miles from the actual spot.
    The driveway is approximately 1/4 mile from the Hwy 524 turn in Westport KY.

8. bigjimandthetwins

State:
    kentucky
    I just got back from the ramp @Westport and the river looks great! Can you fish all night there or does it close? I noticed a General Store, will they have camp food or should I bring that with me?

9. cubacroc

cubacroc Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Not sure about the ramp closing. The matter has never come up. Folks just launch and take out whenever they want. I have seen a Ky State Trooper cruise past a few times during the past 40 years that I have fished there. Several individuals were discussing the evenings fishing results about 11:00 PM last night when I checked the ramp. I do not know if bank fishing is prohibited after a certain time.

The Westport General Store should have some selection of supplies but I believe that the selection will be limited and I do not know the store hours.

Sorry for the lack of details.

I will have all of the info ready and post well ahead of time for next years Catfish Derby.

10. bigjimandthetwins

State:
    kentucky
    Do you know if the water is still coming up. Not sure if we'll bank fish or take the boat. Will we be able to see you guys from the river? Maybe we should just follow our nose. We'll come up and say hello no matter what! I'll be the guy in the black Dodge who has no idea where he's going.

11. cubacroc

cubacroc Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky

The corp report shows a stable pool and the same amount of gate running as yesterday.
    Vern likes the section of river directly across from the camp. Several miles of deep water are available if you like to drift and a few creeks are nearby. 18 Mile Island is just downstream of Westport.

"I'll be the guy in the black Dodge who has no idea where he's going"
    You will fit right in!

12. Capn Crunch

Capn Crunch New Member

State:
    Lexington,
    Man, my wife and I were really hoping to make it out there today. Just didn't work out. :embarassed: I can't wait to hear the reports, though. It sounds like a lot of fun. I hope y'all have a big time!!