Western Pa. flathead catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by RandyS, Jul 28, 2008.

1. RandyS

RandyS New Member

State:
    Pa
    I've fished the Allegheny river quite a bit and also some other places, never caught a flathead. I've caught a lot of channel cats though. Do any of you fellas know of a good spot on the Allegheny that would be a good bet for a flathead? A friend and I are going to try a branch of the Susquehanna near Mahaffey. I would appreciate any help.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Welcome to the BOC, this site is full of good info and great people.

I don't know anything about your area, but you are sure to find everything you need about flatheads on this site. good luck and we look forward to hearing your fishing stories/reports.

3. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    What area on the All. do you usually fish.

4. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    welcome to the BOC

quite a few of us fish the alleghany.

I fish just a little too far north for flatheads. they best habitat seems to be in the southern navigation locks- but they are definitely present south of RT80

If you fish stinkbaits and/or worms you will rarely (if ever) catch flatheads.

5. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA

6. RandyS

RandyS New Member

State:
    Pa
    I've fished around Kittanning and Templeton. I was thinking about trying Mahoning creek where it goes into the Allegheny.

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    You are in Flathead country Randy! Thats where I fish and the Flattys are there! :wink:

8. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Sure are, and fishing around the confluence of creeks is definitely a good place to start your search.

9. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    I will say though, if you use the technique of fishing the mouth of creeks, it seems that the bite usually starts around 9 and ends around midnight. After that it seems that all the fish that are going to use the creek to feed are already in the creek. After that you need to either move up the creek and set up again, or move to a different location until about 5 or 6 in the morning when they move back down the creek into the river. The bite never seems to be as good in the morning but if you put a gill in front of a flat it will get eaten, hungry or not.

10. RandyS

RandyS New Member

State:
    Pa
    Thanks for all of the help. I really apreciate it.