Western NC

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by canadytoo, Aug 13, 2006.

1. canadytoo

canadytoo New Member

State:
    Green Creek, No
    I live in western NC but fish in SC (mostly the Parr Res. 2 hour drive one way). Does anyone have any suggestions of some place closer to home? I fish with my nephew alot so bites are more important than size (although I would love to hang some of the big ones :lol: ).

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    What area are you in?

3. canadytoo

canadytoo New Member

State:
    Green Creek, No
    Polk County (not far from where Highway #9 runs from south carolina into north carolina)

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Prince! Yes, it would be nice to know what area you live in. I live in western NC too. We usually fish Lake Norman (which is bordered by five counties....I hope I get these right: Cabarrus, Catawba, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, and Rowan). This is a good cat lake. You can go a bit east towards central NC and fish High Rock or Badin. There are some big cats in both of these also. Lake Hickory isn't bad for channels and some bullheads, but there aren't many blues and no flatheads that I know of. I also know some fishermen that really like Lake Lookout (Lookout Shoals). Hope this helps!

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Broad River has a few decent channels, Pacolet River lakes like Blalock or Bowen. Lake Lure as you may know doesn't have very good cattin plus its costly. Hartwell is a good ride from there maybe not two hours though. You can fish from the pier at Blalock with just a SC license's. But boating on Blalock would cost more than its worth I would think. I think you can fish around the "Park Area" at Bowen just off Hwy 9.

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Just me again :lol:! I have been looking at my atlas. If I lived where you do, I'd be tempted to cut across to Forest City on 74, then jump on 221 North. Make a visit to Lake James in Burke County. I can't give you any info on catfishing there, never fished it, but it is a BEAUTIFUL lake. Also, the temps are cooler there during the summer :cool2:

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    James might be a good choice. Its the first lake on the Catawba chain.

8. amatuer cat catcher

amatuer cat catcher New Member

State:
    NC
    lol i live in asheville area if anyone wants to go fishing with me message me im a very mature 14 year old who is starting out catfishing who would love some help so give me a holer brethren

9. canadytoo

canadytoo New Member

State:
    Green Creek, No
    Thank you all, for all of the great info. :lol:

10. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Corrected info: Lake Norman is only bordered by four counties, Mecklenburg, Iredell, Catawba and Lincoln, with 520 miles of shoreline.

11. mrc

mrc New Member

State:
    SC
    canadytoo --- I don't live too far from you. Lake Adger and the Green River are slap full of small bullheads that are fun for the kids to catch and mighty tasty eating except it takes a bucket full to make a mess. I've never fished on Lake Adger but I've heard there are some decent channel cats in there too. Take the kids and a couple dozen nightcrawlers up the river and you'll have a fun evening!!!

12. amatuer cat catcher

amatuer cat catcher New Member

State:
    NC
    anyoen wanna go fishing?

13. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    OH NO TANYA DROPED THE BALL! :eek:oooh: lol

14. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Enjoy it while you can, Devin, it doesn't happen often! :big_smile:

15. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Access to Lake Adger is very limited. Quick fact about Lake Adger: The musky made their way out of the lake back in the 80's and made it all the way to Broad River. Thats why South Carolina had a state record for Musky.