Western MD

Discussion in 'LOCAL MARYLAND TALK' started by surfchunker, Feb 4, 2007.

1. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    Hello everyone, this is my first thread on here I just joined last night.

I live in Cumberland MD - Western Maryland - on the Potomac River and was wondering if anyone else was from the western part of the state and where some good catfishing holes in the Potomac on this end of the State might be .... we love Catfishing here too ....

We caught a few good ones here in the river ... Mrs had one a few years ago that broke off in the riprap at the low water damn here ....... Probably 20+ Channel and several 5-10 lb'ers ... we have caught them on live bait, Quaker oat balls, and dough bait ....

Great site and thanks

2. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    welcome Bruce nice to have one more from maryland on here. I fush all over the state and no alot of poeple up your way us well. The big thing is it is mostly all channel cats up your way a flathead every now and then. Theirs not alot of big waters up you way Dam 4 and 5 is about all we have. Any cat fish you got over the 10 lb range is a very very good cat. When you move into the tide Potomac you run into th Blue cats and a different ball game all together. The big cats you catch up river are just a avg size fish 20 lb cats can be a every day fish. I have some guys in the Maryland ACATS group that are from Hagerstown, Williamsport and one from Hancock. I hope they will jump in here and help you out some. But they have made the trip down river and have become hooked on the blues as well.I would be more then happy to show you around on the lower part if you would like to make the trip. Just follow the site here and if something do pop up around your way it will be on here. once again welcome to the site and enjoy all the great people and information it has to offer.

3. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    Hancock is only about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes from me ........

We are fishin family

I've already found all kinds of good info

Thanks again Tim

4. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Welcome Bruce, Im sure you are finding out what a great site this is. Great people and great information.

5. pitbull

pitbull New Member

State:
    maryland
    Welcome to the BOC . I am from MD to Frederick here. Never fished up that far.If u think of making the trip to lower potomac it will be worth your wild to do so. We will all help u in the quest for the big one. WE ALL HELP EACH OTHER HERE>:big_smile:

6. Team StrayCats

Team StrayCats New Member

State:
    florida
    Welcome to the Boc Bruce good luck fishing this year

7. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    so much info here ..... a friend from a surf fishing forum sent me a link to here for replacing Abu Drag washers ...... I live alot closer to the river than the beach ..... i'd love to hook up one weekend and go fishing .... I'm shore bound for now .... would love to get a jon boat

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    A lot of times I have members going down to prefish for tournaments there. The guys from hagerstown and here around frederick as well. I guide there but do at times run down just for fun. Follow the post on here and I know someone will offer you a seat. One bad thing is when you made that first trip you will be hooked and the other rivers around the state just won't be the same anymore. We have a tournament down at smallwood state park on march 31th if you can make a road trip stop on by and meet the guys. when you see a weigh in from the potomac river you will know what i'm talking about by being hooked.

9. Bunker Dunkers

Bunker Dunkers New Member

State:
    College Park
    surfchunker,

Welcome aboard. With all that good ice that you have out west, why not be the first to yank a cat thru the ice on this board.
    [​IMG]
    My son and I are trying for them this year but so far only have 2"-3" thick ice in the lowlands to work with, hopefully it will thicker this weekend, and we'll be able to dunk some Danny Kings down to some deeper water.
    Good luck if you get out,
    Bob

10. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Welcome Bruce, if ya post it, they will come...be watching for your posts.
    :smile2:

11. hookman571

hookman571 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Welcome Bruce,

I'm originally from Cumberland and there are some nice Catfish in your area between 10 and 15 lbs. The South Branch for instance have some nice size Channel Cats. Usually caught in the Summer evenings or after dark. I have seen them though, in the middle of the day, following feeding Carp and taking the missed Crayfish and Hellgrimites. Tim Hagan is correct in telling you that these Lower Potomac Blue Cats are a different fish all together. They get huge. 65 + lbs in Maryland and over 95 lbs in the James River near Richmond, have been caught this past year, breaking both records. Tim Hagan has a good reputation in the Potomac and has been very helpful to many. You most certainly will need a boat to be productive and probably something larger than you would be using back home. These guys catch some big fish.

12. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Russ you are right and I know of a 59.7 and a 61 that was taken in January on the potomac so that record of 65.8 will not hold for long. Your boat need to hand 30 to 40 lbs fish and the winds on the potomac can sometimes pop up so fast you need to be on your toe's when you hit big open waters like that.

13. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    I think we will book a trip with Tim when the bite turns on again ....... got one buddy ready to load up and go .... I haven't fished the South
    Branch much and it's been a while .... I usually fish the North ...... it's cleaning up good and lots of Muskies too .... and they are putting in more and more boat ramps too ........ gotta get me a Jon Boat

14. Bucktail033

Bucktail033 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    in the summer i usually fish deep creek lake for a total of about a month...it yields some pretty serious bullheads on dead shiners and nightcrawlers at night.

15. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    never fished it ... it's too touristy for me .... Dang jet skis and speed boats ...... nice lake though .....

Stopped at Ducky's Boat Setup at the Outdoor show and Looked for you Tim ...

16. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Sorry I didn't make the trip today all the snow and the kids home from shcool. Wife was in bed sick so had to hang around and help out here. But i will be there Fri,sat and sun to help out again.

17. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    They said they were looking for ya ... lol ....

18. oran

oran Guest

Hey Tim, watch it. I thought I was the only one that used the "kids" excuse. Ha Ha. Oran

19. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Ya Oran The little woman got the bug and having 6 kids home from school today I just couldn't do that to her.

20. surfchunker

surfchunker New Member

State:
    maryland
    I did get a B & R Outlaw Rod there today ..... and some Gami 8/0 circlehooks .... then had to go get an Abu for the rod ....:crazy:

Hello my name is Bruce and I'm a Tackle Ho :eek:oooh: