Western Ks. lakes

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by johnliester, May 27, 2008.

1. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    I guess you all heard of the lovely weather we had in western Ks towards the end of last week. Tornados, T-storms, hail, and a boatload of rain. Some areas received over 7 inches in one shot. Near as I can tell all of them got a lot of new water, and a lot of trash and debris. Sheridan is up almost 4 feet, with antelope having overflowed it's spill way. I haven't been able to get to Norton, Webster, Kirwin or Glen Elder, but I'd guess they're way up too. Antelope looks terrible now. The water is the color of mud. There are trees and other debris everywhere in the lake. Several camper trailers were destroyed there.
    Anyway, after a storm and influx of water like this, how does one fish these lakes? On saturday there were people catching cats, but I noticed on stink bait for the most part. How long will it take to settle down to somewhat normal fishing? Or will it ever be normal again? I hope these lakes aren't hurt too bad, because teh cost of gas stops me from driving long distances to fish.
    Any thoughts? John

2. SheLuvsCats

SheLuvsCats New Member

State:
    Kansas
    There was a lot of rain, high winds and oh yes....HAIL..... We had a tornado down by Clark State Fishing Lake but no damage.... Haven't been down to check out the lake though, but the water flow into it would be heavy and bringing a lot of brush trash with it. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will be okay after all this. They say in a few days we are going to have storms again. I'm totally through with them that's for sure.

3. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    After a sudden influx of rain, look for cats to be cruising the newly flooded land looking for earthworms, drowned insects and crawdads. Use a boat, cast toward the water's edge and use as small of a float as the weight of your bait will allow. You can either reel back in jerks or use the wind to drift the float trying to keep it in the shallows less than five feet. Experiment to see what depth to set the float, 18" is a good first guess. Using earthworms as bait you might catch most all of the types of fish in the lake so you might catch a carp or a bass or two. If the water stays high, expect this pattern to continue for about a week. After that the extra food has been used up mostly. When water is silted up, expect fish to feed by scent.Sight sure isn't going to help them much. The fish will spook easy in shallow water so don't bump anything in the boat! You take away sight from them and they will listen really hard, especially the cats. Yes, things will get back to normal again. Until then roll with the changes like Mr. Whiskers will. Throw some stink bait at them too when its muddy.

4. Kansasgoose

Kansasgoose New Member

State:
    Hoyt, kansas
    flooded conditions in lakes can be a great time to be on the water. While the water is rising, fish the shallows, flooded grassy areas can be good. also go up the feeder creeks, many times the flooded timber can be good. Flooded grain fields are another good place to look for fish when first flooded. worms are always a safe bet for bait, for most anything eats them. Shad is also a good option due to the scent. Go back to deeper water when the water starts going down. falling water levels are the real problem with floods, but catching it on the way up can be good. I personally dont use floats like stated above, but rather like to fish the bottom. I dont see a problem with either approach. I think too, you will notice that most fish you catch during a flood will have full bellies, they tend to gorge themselves on all the newly accessible food.

5. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Look for the creeks where water flows in. Try a big gob of worms {3 or4} or turkey liver with some scent attractant on a bobber about 18" to 24" deep. Last year I had 3 different trips after some flooding to 2 different lakes where I caught multiple double digit channel cats. After the flooding in Osawattomie on the Marais Des Cygne it took me 2 hours of detours around washed out roads to get where I was going but in 4 hours I caught 42 channel cats including 5 over 10lbs. and 2 over 20 with my new p.b of 24.7. All of em in less than 3' of swirling muddy water running into a small public lake. Get out there and give it a shot. A little chum won't hurt anything either. Soybeans,milo, wheat or crappie guts will work good.

6. aclrockie

aclrockie New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I usually find the river channel or creeks that come in to the lake. I will anchor off on the mouth and use fresh shad. I filet the sides off above the belly to the tail put a chunk or two on the hook some guts and follow with another chunk or two of the side. I have used worms and other baits and see nothing wrong with that either I just prefer the shad when I can get it. when the water starts to crest its off to the flooded flats and crop ground. Also fish the smaller creeks they will hold big fish in holes and when the water rises they will be looking for food.