Western Kansas pheasant hunting land.

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by brad kilpatrick, Dec 16, 2006.

1. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    If any BOC members have any phesant hunting habitat, I would be willing to trade a missouri river blue cat fishing trip or two for permission for Me and a small group of My hunting buddies to hunt phesant on your land. We are a responsible, respectful, and most of all safe group of hunters.

Anyone interested post here or PM me

2. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Brad, you might want to consider trying some of the walk-in hunting in western Kansas. There are thousands of acres open to hunting and some of it can be pretty good at times. The problem this year is that there aren't a lot of birds anywhere. But if you have enough people to help you can generally kill a few birds on those lands. I'll be going back out there again after the first of the year and you'd be welcome to come along.

3. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Calvin,
    I've hunted Walk-in for years. Unfortunatly it just seems That the overall quality of the land is going down. I still hunt some walk-in land but am trying to get away from it.

There are still some birds around this year. We've seen plenty on private land. I know of a CRP field that probibly a good 100 birds use. Its just been so darn warm its hard to get close to em!!!

Drop Me a PM and let Me know when and where You guys are headed, I might just swing on in and walk a few fields with Ya.

Here is an example of My tax dollars being put to good use leasing high quality hunting ground

Attached Files:

4. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    What time of the season do you usually go? opener, mid, or last of January?

5. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    All season from begining till the bitter end!!

6. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Brad, I've seen a lot of walk in areas identical to the one in your picture. I've also came back to what was good the previous year and found it to be leased up by my favorite people; outfitters. I don't know where you've done most of your hunting and wouldn't pretend for a second that WI is as good as private ground. But I've found that if you have enough people and don't mind putting some miles on your truck and boots you can usually find a few birds. When we are blessed with a state with less public hunting than any other and a KDWP that caters to the outfitters its tough. But for many hard working Kansans thats the only opportunity to shoot a bird. I'll let you know when and if we go. The weather plays a big part and this has been a BAD, DRY year.

7. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    I primarly hunt around Oakley Kansas. Its where I grew up. Let me rephrase that. Its where I was raised. some good hunting along with some good walk in hunting. I don't get to go back to often but if I get some time I will be glad to take a small group.

8. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    I was Sooooo frustrated By opening weekend this year. The group I open the season with hunt walk-in only. The first field we saw between 40-50 birds, although most flushed wild well ahead of the hunters we did manage to get a few. For the rest of the day we only saw 0-5 birds per field. I'm assuming We were hunting trampled ground.

as much as I hate to be part of the problem We have talked about getting 10 hunters to pony up $200-$300 a piece and find some private land to lease. That way We would have unpressured land to hunt all season. Unfortunatly it seems that if you don't get some land leased up quick You could be out of luck as far as good hunting in our state. I would Gladly fork out $300 a season to keep My dogs in birds all season long. I love watching good dogs work!

9. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Let me know when you make it up here

10. SNAGGED

SNAGGED New Member

State:
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    I know most farmers in the area and they will let me hunt as long as I don't drive on the wheat and dont hunt the opener.Most farmers have a group of people that come out to hunt. mostly family. I hunt the opener with a large group of hunters.Most is family. They all have fat dogs, bent barrels and pot bellies but have been coming for years. Its kinda a family thing on the opener. If you have a chance to go hunt crop fields in the morning. The are feeding before the sun comes up on an average day. Dry and sunny. around 9:30 or so start hunting weed pockets, overgrown draws, and heavy weed cover in crp fields. They stay in cover and digest their food away from hawks. After lunch they move back out towards food patches and eat until evening where they move back in to roost. I enjoy hunting fingerling draws with a couple good dogs, and 5 or 6 other people.