Western Big Game

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Mi11er, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    A buddy and I want to go on a big game hunt and I was wondering what is the cheapest hunt a non resident can go on. What are some of the public land choices?
    We were thinking Elk in Colorado, or antelope in nebraska, south Dakota

any help would be great.

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i was looking at new mexico elk and black bear and they are pretty affordable. i heard wyoming was on the cheaper side too. need to get richard on here and he'll set us straight on the new mexico part anyway.

3. Mr.Seaguar

Mr.Seaguar New Member

State:
    Sioux Center, Iowa
    I have spent a ton of time looking at this also. Antelope in SD is not an expensive hunt at all. You can do it this year even, just buy some leftover tags and go. Plenty of public land too. I go every yr. Cost ya $80 for 2 doe tags. I dont eat the horns or the balls so I am happy to shoot does. Good luck and I am happy to help.

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I don't eat those either:eek:oooh::smile2:

I think that SD would be my best option, sense I live in MO. I need to find public land that holds good antelope populations. Do you hunt public land? What are the best ways to find public land?

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    non resident big game liscences in New Mexico are as followsantlerless elk 333.00,bull elk 543.00,e/s elk 543.00 quality hunt ,all included elk,768.00

deer270.00 antelope,278.00 javalena 173.00 bighorn sheep3,168.00 oryx1,618.00 ibex,1,618.00 bear260.00 +8.00 bear permit Cougar290.00 Barbery sheep360.00

more info is available at www.wildlife.state.nm.us

6. coorsdrifter

coorsdrifter New Member

State:
    Eddyville,Ky
  7. Mr.Seaguar

Mr.Seaguar New Member

State:
    Sioux Center, Iowa
    Mi11er, go to the South Dakota Game Fish and Parks website and click on the Hunting Atlas. It will show you all the public land and you can print pages. The largest amts of public land and populations of antelope are in the NW to N central parts of the state. Thats because antelope prefer places that are unfit for most things. I only hunt public land. Theres plenty of it and plenty of antelopes. Good Luck.

8. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    thanks for all your help

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hey Ever'body,
    I live in Arizona, and all our big game is on a drawing/raffle system. Whether you're a resident or non-resident, everyone has the same chance at getting drawn. Competition for tags is steep though.

I just happened on this post and it just so happens I'm leaving tomorrow for Wyoming for an Antelope hunt. Have a buck tag and 2 doe tags. There's usually plenty of animals, and it's a lot of fun for sure.

10. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Good luck on your trip!!

I would love to hunt pretty much anything in Arizona, but the fact that you have to put a non refundable deposit down for the permit is just too much money to throw away. Arizona has, hands down, the best Elk, and pronghorn in the country( for trophy size anyway) I hope one day I can hunt there

11. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Good Luck on your trip. Have a safe one.

I also leave this week on thurday for our annual Elk hunt in Colorado, We have friends in Alamosa and he said this is going to be a good year, The elk are plentyfull and bugling. We have the horses ready and camp is already set.

Mi11er, we usually go for around 800.00 to 900.00 dollars, and that covers the tags gas and food for a 10 day trip between four of us.

12. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Reload, yall charge for javalena tags there????? They are running rampant tearing up everything here in Texas & you can shoot them whenever you want, along w/all the feral hogs too....

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Well Everybody,
    Thanks for the howdy's,,,
    We had a great trip, I had a buck and 2 doe tags,,, bunch of fun, I used 3 different rifles to take the animals,,
    The neatest deal was I shot one of the does with an old double rifle I've had for a few years, a .375 Flanged Magnum, Hammer gun. Not your typical Speed Goat rifle,,
    Also, used an old Sporterized Eddystone 30-06, and a pre 64 Winchester Mod 88 Lever action rifle in .243..
    Anyhow, for all you folks looking for a Western hunt, they're out there, just get hooked up and go!!!!