West Virginia catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL WEST VIRGINIA TALK' started by Hawk33, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Well the West Virginia section isn't very lively...

Let's try to live things up on the West Virginia Section !!!

For Starters, fishing has slowed a good bit in the Mountain State.
    Potentially i believe it's the SPAWN; Although these fish can be caught during the spawn my experience is fishing is slow and frustrating.

Hopefully here in the next 2 weeks nature takes it's course and the fish start the POST SPAWN BITE !!! I believe the Season came in 2 week's early. I caught my biggest fish this year in the first week of May 2007:

Rang in at 30 lbs.

[​IMG]

I would like to see some WV Shovelhead Pic of 2007 that came out of the greast state of WV...

Few friends have caught a few nicer cats also this year.

I'm still after the quest of a 40 lber. !!!+

HAWK :smile2:

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If I have to I will come over there and show you boys haw to do it! :eek:oooh:lol

3. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Well that ws suppose to be a regular smiley fae i guess it didn't happen that way >?? :0a14:

lol... Hawk

4. Netman123

Netman123 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What part of the Kanawha are you fishing?

5. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Further North !

We have a Caught a few fish 25 lbs and bigger, but that's it. All the rest have been dink's ! I usually do better later in the season.

HAWK

6. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    been working to much not much time for computer.

7. BigKahuna

BigKahuna New Member

State:
    Charles Town West Virginia
    I live in the northern panhandle of WV near Charles Town. I do most of my catfishing for big blue cats down on the lower James river, below Richmond from Nov-April. I have been reading about the great flathead fishing on the Kanawha River and the Ohio River. I am planning on making a trip to fish Stonewall and Burnsville over the week of the 4th. Good to see some WV Catfisherman finally hitting the boards.

8. Netman123

Netman123 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good Luck on your fishing trip.

9. jason haddon

jason haddon New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I'm in the extreme northern panhandle of W.V. All the way up in Weirton. Not many choices up here for flatheads, except for the ohio. I like to fish the NewCumberland lock and dam. I here all kinds of big cat stories, just can't seem to get one. I still enjoy trying and won't give up. going tonight as a matter of fact. using live minnows 4 or 5 inches. I try to go fishing at least once a week. Anyone from around the Weirton Stuebenville area?

10. allena

allena New Member

State:
    WV/Preston Co.
    Hey BigKahuna, Let us know how you do at Burnsville. I have`nt been there yet. Not sure why I only live a couple hours from there. I`ve fished the South Branch at Romney 3 times and the bite has been real slow. Hoping the spawn ends soon and things get back to normal.

11. WestVaMan

WestVaMan New Member

State:
    Okinawa Japan
    Went back to Nitro for a few weeks. Did alot of catfishin, right up until my gear got stolen from the bank. Give me a reason to get the quantum big iron i guess.

12. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    John, welcome to the B.O.C., best catfishing community on the planet.

Sorry to hear your gear got stolen. Chances are slim but check the local pawn shops, you might get lucky and find whats rightfully yours. Did you report it to the officials?

13. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    That is a sorry shame, John. Welcome to the BOC!

By the way, I plan to do some catfishing on Mt. Storm Lake in about a week. The catfish are pretty small, but they are numerous.

I was talking to some guys who were fishing Mt. Storm a few weeks ago. They fished two pounds of chicken livers and CPR'ed over 100 catfish in one evening.

Being that there is no creel or possession on that lake, I plan to CPE a few (catch, photograph, and eat!). :002:

14. barry

barry Member

State:
    WV.
    That was 20 lbs of liver!!!!!

Hi Wolfman!

15. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I stand corrected, Barry. Hey, what are you doin' over here! :crazy:

It looks like I'm not the only one doing double time! :wink:

16. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    hey sorry to here that happened i fish not far from nitro in st. albans go up to the old cheifs place in winfeild i think its outdoor specialties now they had the iron deep sea cant think of which one right now for about 80$ and he sells beef sticks for 25$ tj's in nitro has some good deals also she always has something different every time i go in thereand my friend says there is a place in winfield down the road from the other place thats only open after five i think that has some good penns i think he said they have the gold series also check into the rogers sporting goods site first you might be surprised at what you see i know i was:cool2:
    good luck