West Virginia catfishing - need some help

Discussion in 'LOCAL WEST VIRGINIA TALK' started by BKA, Apr 22, 2007.

1. BKA

BKA New Member

State:
    WV
    I'VE BEEN A MEMBER FOR JUST A FEW DAYS,AND I HAVE SOME QUESTIONS ON LOCATING BIGGER CATFISH.I FISH LOCAL WATERS AND CATCH ALOT OF FISH IN THE 10-12 POUND RANGE.I KNOW THAT STRUCTURE IS A BIG PART OF THE GAME,BUT THERE IS NOT A WHOLE LOT OF THIS IN THE RIVERS I FISH. I HAVE A LOWRANCE M68C FISH FINDER WITH GPS,SONAR AND SHOWS GOOD DETAIL PICS OF THE WATER.I USE SUCKERS,CHUBS,BLUEGILLS,SHAD,SKIPJACKS,AND LITTLE BULLHEAD CATFISH FOR BAIT. I JUST CAN'T SEEM TO FIND THE BIG ONES,CAN ANYONE HELP ME JUST A LITTLE.

THANKS
    BKA

2. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I catch my bigger catfish, especially flatheads, around log jams or in deep holes around mud banks 20 to 40 ft deep.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brian Welcome to the BOC. Check out the channel bends and the mouth of some creeks. Look for wood, large bolders are anything different and give it a try. Sounds like you have a good choice of bait. Good Luck.

4. CatKing83

CatKing83 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    I fish alot here in wv local rivers, like the new, and the kanawaha. The best pointer i can give is to look for current breaks where the water goes from slightly shollow to deep. ( The best bait i have found for big flatheads is bluegill.

5. Possom

Possom New Member

State:
    Wv
    Gills are the Best know matter what any body says For Flats. I fish the kanawha now that i can drive to best places in 20min.

6. Chris55

Chris55 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    You might want to try some goldfish.As far as rivers go,also try some of the fine lakes we have here to.Summersville and Sutton hold nice cats.

7. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    BKA what area in WV are you near? I have lived there my whole life, maybe i can help you find you a place or 2 where i have caught some... Also i just moved to Kentucky so someone needs to keep my spots going..

8. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Also you can catch chubs from most any creek they make excellent bait.I prefer shad myself.

9. BKA

BKA New Member

State:
    WV

HEY, FISH THE KANAWHA ALOT AND THE OHIO 2-3 TIMES A SUMMER.WE FISH THE REDMAN TOURNAMENT JUNE 2 OUT OF MASON CITY WV.THEN WE HAVE TOURNYS AT POINT PLEASANT, BUFFALO AND POCA, SO IF YOU HAVE ANY INFOR. THAT MIGHT HELP ME LET ME KNOW. THANKS BKA.

10. slipbobber

slipbobber New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    you fish the kanawha river cat club tourneys... i got a few places we have caught some nice ones at. send me you email addy and i will email you some spots... i know it sounds crazy to not let my spots out but ive got some cats over the years that would pay out in tourneys... ever need a partner? let me know i am about 2hrs away and will be there no time flat....

11. CatChaser_WV

CatChaser_WV New Member

State:
    WV
    We need to get together and fish bka

12. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    BKA

On the Ohio River on the OH side, in Long Bottom, OH (see Mapquest) is a spot to bankfish that I think should produce. Theres a place on the north side of the road to park (two cars) @ where u climb down the cliff. Just downstream/@ the BIG BUTT BEND with a white spot painted on the metal guard rail.

We had bait problems when we fish it but there are millions of tons of Structure there and its right next to the channel from shore. Snag City from the rubble there from the chaanel cutting into the shore.

Only fish it when the water is at or below 13.75 ft or it dissapears. Use the Bellville Dam on the links bellow plz.
    http://newweb.erh.noaa.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=rlx&view=1,1,1,1,1,1

http://www.lrd-wc.usace.army.mil/navtemp.html

:0a26:

13. BKA

BKA New Member

State:
    WV
    oohweeeee@aol.com