West side Meet

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by jolie, Feb 28, 2009.

1. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    MAY 15, 2009 (friday) @ 6:00pm at South shore, Morraine state park

please indicate whether you think you're coming or not... we could still tweak time/date/place...
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    I will probably be their well in advace of 6:00pm as I am taking friday OFF.

attached photos detail exactly where we will meet for those that haven't been there.

as for east-siders. I know it IS a long ways, but still if at all possible I do hope some of you can come. I would like to meet you. we, on the west side could look into amenities (campgrounds, motels, etc) if it helps...

and I thought- wouldn't it be cool to have a big cookout? theres charcoal grills there, if I'm remembering it right. If we do this we will make it dish to pass, as to not unneccesarily burden anybodies finances. home-made potato salad? hotdogs? mmmm.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

and although its not a featured fishery I will say this, I saw the biggest musky in my life, on the shoreline at morraine in light... a half dead bluegill brought him in- and in the glare of the latern;...I was afraid, man that was a big fish....

Attached Files:

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    If this thing is going to happen I will take a vacation day to be there! I work 4x12 that day. That being said I don't want to burn a day if no one is going to show up. So I will follow this thread before putting in for a vacation day. Is this just for Friday the 15th or the whole weekend?

3. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Since it is going to be on friday I'll be there for a couple hours

4. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I am 100% sure I will be there (even if it ends up just being jolie and I :smile2:). I will be planning on staying there Friday night into Saturday... maybe even Saturday into Sunday. Hope to see you all there!

5. Fishing Addict

Fishing Addict Member

State:
    Spring Church, Pa
    As long as I remember I'll be there, Im off on fridays unless theres overtime then I got no choice. One of the perks of being a boss.:confused2:

6. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Im in as long as we make definite plans well enough ahead that I can get vacation requests in. Hopefully we can get a good showing.

7. tomsfishing4

tomsfishing4 New Member

State:
    pa
    im with mike on this one,i will be there definitley through sat.even if i have to work i might just be a little late thats all,but really cant wait,if im not working i may even tug the boat along.i got room for three comfortly for anyone whos interested......tom

8. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Pretty good drive for me, but I might see about making the trip. Will have a better idea closer to the date.

9. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Planning on having the boat there also. If need be, we could ferry people to the more secluded sections of the lake where the big channels have been reported...or we could just hang out where the camping stuff is.

10. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I don't know for sure 100% yet, but if I'm not back to work I'll be able to make it.

11. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    The duration of the gathering is not easy to set... this is not centered around a event. I had thought that we could try to bring everyone coming together at this one time and place friday afternoon at 6pm. my own rough plans are to leave early friday and fish there most the day and then fish the night. leaving by daybreak saturday.

I would imagine that people that have traveled a little ways well want to give morraine an honest effort and that is several hours for fishing for sure...

As one whom has fished in morraine several times (though it was never the focal points of fishing; when I lived in the area)...morraine has a finicky side to it:wink:... you can catch some really awesome fish and see zillions of alewives come up to the surface cause a near boil of the water..
    ...and go hours and hours without a bite.

basically, morraine is worth all your skills and there's some really trophies in there. I can't wait to watch y'all work ; I'm taking notes:smile2:

we still have to give all the particulars to my wife:embarassed:-- that is my plans are not always what ends up to be:embarassed::embarassed:... BUT I did clear the idea of taking a DAY off to fish with you guys,:smile2: and that day is going to be May 15.

12. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    Jason, as youve said Moraine can either be feast or famine. During the "day" it can really seem like the Dead Sea. But it is a lake that really comes alive in the evening and at night. We used to fish the lake using about everything in my tacklebox and finding active fish during the day is difficult at best. That being said, with the tentative date, there should be some crappies to be caught in the back channels across from the dam. A couple years ago we found a pretty good little honey hole for crappies that produced some real slabs. The best technique we have found for daytime anything else is slow rolling a worm harness walleye style through the deep channels and road beds. If youre planning on being there all day, I might bring the boat up and we can check it out. It most likely wouldnt be till late morning as it will be right in the middle of turkey season.

13. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA
    I will be there for sure. It would work better for me if it was Saturday night. We can meet up and visit during the day and then do fishing at night but I also can do Friday. I would probably show up around 8:00 on Friday. I don't have to worry about my wife. It's my birthday and she would not even think about saying I can't go fishing on my birthday :smile2:

14. Fishing Addict

Fishing Addict Member

State:
    Spring Church, Pa
    Im goin to try to be there kinda early myself, crappie fishin durring the day and cats at night. I havent done much good there for cats except for the first time I went, catchin three of them one night all 25-30 inches and the biggest one weighing in at 17 lbs. That was about 5 years ago ever since then I caught a few small channels and a lot of bullheads. I will definatly have the boat there, wont go without it.:wink:

15. DIESELkat

DIESELkat New Member

State:
    PA
    OK, 1 rule for this get together::: any bullheads caught immediatly go into the bait buckets for the river the next night.:wink::smile2:

16. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    It's sounding like this thing is going to happen! :big_smile: Perhaps I can claim a seat in one of the boats yinz guys are bringing! I can't bring my pontoon cause it will be docked on the river by then plus it has a 40 hp motor which is not legal on Lake Arthur.

17. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    wonderful, see you there scott...
    Jason

18. PaCatfishHunter

PaCatfishHunter New Member

State:
    Greensburg, PA

If someone has an extra seat for me also, that would be great. I don't have a boat. If not then I have no problem fishing from the bank. I do it 90% of the time. I tried to talk the wife into getting a boat and that has not gone over real well. :sad2: I have to keep working on it

19. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I agree to that, There probably will be a fair share caught depending on what bait people are using:smile2:

20. moose22dog

moose22dog New Member

State:
    YINZERBURGH,PA
    i am going on a camping trip down in wv that weekend, but if that changes i will be there. and i will also go every night that weekend for who ever want's to go, maybe hook in to some nice flaty's the burgh has. oh ya as far as the one rule goes everything that can be used for bait always goes in the baitank. lol ...:crazy::cool2:justin