West Point Lake Report

Discussion in 'GEORGIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Fishmaster1203, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    12/09/09 Full Pool Lake Level - 635.00 Current Lake Level - 630.40 Surface Temperature - Upper 50's
    Water Clarity - Light stain on the main lake. Stained up the creeks. Muddy up the Chattahoochee River.
    Generation Schedule Today - Around the clock until further notice (subject to change without notice).

LARGEMOUTH BASS / SPOTTED BASS - Fair - The Bass are moving out deeper with the colder water
    temps. Look for Largemouth and Spotted Bass to be suspending in the treesalong the river and major
    creek channels. Bass are also holding in the brush piles on the old roadbeds. Most of the old roadbeds
    have brush on or around them. The best way to catch Bass for the rest of the winter is probably going
    to be vertically jigging spoons. When they get hungry, they will come out of the trees and move up on
    adjacent flats to feed. Locate the Shad on your graph and you should also find a variety of game fish.

STRIPED BASS / HYBRID BASS - Good - Striped, Hybrid and White Bass are now biting good down on
    the main lake on live Shad. Good areas to try are the railroad hump, the flats around the mouths of
    Wehadkee Creek and Indian Creek and the humps in the mouth of Maple Creek. The DNR has been
    stocking Striped Bass for the last four years. The first Striped Bass that were stocked are getting up to
    around 15+ pounds. Please release these small Striped Bass and West Point Lake will offer some great
    fishing for big Striped Bass in the very near future. Make your plans now for the spring Striper run!

CRAPPIE - Fair - Crappie are also moving out deeper and suspending in the trees along the river and
    major creek channels. Crappie are also holding in the deep brush piles on the old roadbeds. Crappie
    fishing will likely remain only fair until the trolling season starts to get going in February. I can't wait!

CATFISH - Good - Blue and Channel Catfish are biting good all over the lake. The best bait is cut Shad.
    Fishing for Flathead Catfish has slowed down due to the colder water temps. Unlike Blue and Channel
    Catfish, Flathead Catfish do not like cold water and will remain inactive during the colder months. The
    Flathead fishing will start picking up when the water starts to warm in the spring, usually about the time
    the Striper and Hybrid run up the Chattahoochee River gets going good. I am now offering fishing trips
    exclusively for Fathead Catfish and also combo Striper/Flathead trips. Book your Flathead trip today.

2. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    thanx for the report bro.

3. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga

4. cvbaitman

cvbaitman New Member

State:
    georgia
    thanks paul it about time to go getem

5. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    When we go you can't wear that hat. :smile2:

6. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Thanks for the report Paul!

7. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    They are still pulling water around the clock at the West Point Dam. Level is now 629.04. That's 5.96 feet below full pool.

8. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    By the way, did ya'll know West Point Lake is now full of blue cats? They are starting to get big too and NOBODY is fishing for them.

9. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I guess it would sort of be my civic duty to try to catch some!:roll_eyes:

So don't you target Blues pretty much like channel cats?

Pat

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  10. flatheadslayer

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    yeah,i imagine you would use a pole /line/hook & some bait.but i've never fished for'em.:embarassed: :smile2:

11. goshawk

goshawk New Member

State:
    Georgia

I was thinking of dynomite, but the DNR folks might frown upon that :smile2:

12. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    thanks for the report ....:big_smile:

13. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thats a his good luck hat cant catch fish without it lol

14. flatheadslayer