West Point flathead catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by macdaddy, Jan 21, 2007.

1. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    Anyone ever fish west point for flatheads?? I been hearing alot of friends catching alot of nice ones over there in 30 to 40 lbs range on rod and reel. But know one wants to eat them they say they are nasty from that water over there. so they give them all away when they get home.

2. Crash

Crash New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I grew up on west point lake. I never heard of any flats there at all until just recently. If you go by the dam, you shold be able to catch plenty of 10-15 lb channels, but I can't help you with the flats. If you find them let me know. I still have a house there and would love to get my boat out.

3. macdaddy

macdaddy New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    they been loading the boat some where close to ringer across the river but up alittle some 20 to 40 lbs fish. but know one wants to eat them.

4. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    There have been lots of Flatheads caught in West Point recently. Most of the big ones have been caught way up the Chattahoochee River above Franklin on big Gizzard Shad and Bluegill. I heard of a 39 pounder caught last week. However, unless you have a jet boat the river is not navigable. Almost all of the big Flatheads I know of have been RELEASED. I urge everyone who catches a big one to do the same and it won't be long until some 45 to 50 pounders start showing up!

5. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    yes there is a good area up the river and yes they are ok to eat ...but like fish westpoint said we need to put all the big ones back if not they want be here long if you want to keep a mess to eat them do so but i here it all the time people takeing them home and showing them off and them threwing them in a ditch and wasting them this makes me mad .....:angry: if your not going to eat it take a pic. and set it free for someone else to catch...an i think if its over 20lbs we should turn them back that is a great breader fish ..keep the smaller fish to eat......

6. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks to baitshop 2 for supporting catch and release on the big West Point Flatheads. Keep the small ones to eat. West Point is well on its way to being a great Flathead lake!